GO HOME

CITLALI AND XÓCHITL LOUNGED IN ZYANYA'S ROOM, Citlali quizzing her cousin for her upcoming exams.

Citlali groaned, letting her head fall back against a chair, she just wanted to take a nap, "I don't get why you need to study so religiously."

"I need to study for the my finals. They're like in three weeks." Xóchitl told.

Citlali looked up at her, that was extremely early in the year, "Aren't they taken in June? Why so early?"

Xóchitl shook her head, "They moved them to March. Now, quiz me."

Pulling out a random card from the pile, she cleared her throat before reading, "I'm a 55-year-old man, I'm nauseous, and I'm throwing up."

"Any abdominal pain?" Xóchitl asked.

She nodded, "Yes, from my belly all the way to my back."

"Pancreatitis." Xóchitl blurted.

Citlali nodded, "Yes."

"What finals?" Rebekah wondered.

She was sat in the corner, rocking back and forth in a rocking chair with Zyanya resting on her chest.

"It's a multiple choice test that determines if I become a third year medical student. If I fail I have to do my second year all over again," Xóchitl explained, "Which would suck."

"I could compel them to let you pass." Rebekah offered.

Xóchitl perked up in her seat, "Would you?"

Citlali looked up from the cards, "Absolutely not, you can't take shortcuts when you want to cut into people for a career," she protested, "Especially, not since I couldn't get a vampire to do that for me."

"It's not my fault you were way too much of a goody two shoes to use your resources or make vamp friends." Xóchitl teased.

Citlali rolled her eyes, ignoring her cousin, "I'm a 16-year-old female. I have a sore throat, swollen lymph nodes, swollen tonsils, headache, and nausea." She read aloud.

"That's easy, its mono." Xóchitl said.

"Correct."

A beep rang through the room, Xóchitl looked down at her phone, "What the hell, I thought I was already done with my shift. Why am I being paged?" Groaning, she frustratedly got up from her seat.

"Well, you're an interning to get more credits, it's only gonna get worse when you're an actual resident. The hospital's gonna own you." Havana teased, throwing the pillow back at her. She peered down at her watch and saw it was one in the morning, "Rebekah, it's late. You should go home and rest."

Rebekah stared down at her daughter and stroked her head, "It's lonely and I love spending time here. With her."

"You have to take care of yourself too." She stood up from her chair before leaving the room.

  Three hours and after two appendectomy's later, Citlali let out a tired sigh as she opened the hospital room door.

Xóchitl gently lift the tiny baby off the blonde, taking extra care with all the wires as she transferred Zyanya to the incubator.

Citlali entered, quietly closing the door behind her, wanting to make as little noise as possible so the blonde could sleep.

"How long has she been asleep?" Citlali questioned, motioning over to the blonde.

Xóchitl closed the door to the incubator and turned around, "I got here nine-ish minutes ago," she looked down at her watch, "So like five minutes."

"I've told her to go home."

"Would you want to be away from your medically fragile kid?" Xóchitl asked.

Citlali guessed she saw the point, "Maybe, but I'd also be here working."

"Has your mom told the elders?"

Citlali shook her head, "Nope. That hasn't stopped them from flooding my phone with calls. Nenet won't stop leaving me voicemails."

Vegas scoffed, of course she did. Nenet was such a suck up and a kiss ass. Always followed every command the elders said, Hoping she one day would become the leader.

Except command, except for one.

"You know she has a vampire boyfriend... more like a hook up but she's still fraternizing with vampires. I think some of the elders even know but you don't see her shunned." Xóchitl said, still bitter that she was getting punished but Nenet wasn't.

Citlali whipped her head around so fast to look at her cousin, it almost gave her whiplash, "What?" It wasn't that she didn't believe her cousin, but Nenet was such a rule follower that she couldn't believe it, "Since when?"

Xóchitl shrugged, "Not sure but saw a black truck dropping her off last week. But before she got out I saw him sucking on her neck, I even saw bite marks on her thigh once." Her phone buzzed, "Ugh, I'm not even on call." She stormed out.

Citlali was left utterly shocked, she didn't peg Nenet as a rule breaker.

"Damn." She walked over to the blonde and shook her gently, "Rebekah, Bekah. Wake up."

The blonde startled awake, "What is it? Is she okay?"

   "She's fine, everything's fine but you are not. Look I'm not an expert in vampirism, so I don't know if you guys actually need sleep or not but you're clearly exhausted. Go home and sleep, I've got her, promise."

Letting out a groan, Rebekah looked over at her daughter one last time before begrudgingly agreeing, "Fine."