HOPEFUL STABILITY

HALFWAY TO THE HOSPITAL, the baby's heart rate began dropping

HALFWAY TO THE HOSPITAL, the baby's heart rate began dropping. So much that Citlali had no choice but to deliver right then and there.

She looked over at the man sitting across from her, he seemed young, like straight out of high school young. "I have to deliver the baby."

"What? You can't do that." He protested.

"Look, the baby is having late decelerations. Honestly, I should have delivered it ages ago."

"Are you even a health care worker?"

"Actually, I am. I'm a fifth year pediatric surgical resident and am being trained in neonatal surgery. So when I say, let me deliver this baby, what I mean is I am going to deliver this baby with or without you help."

"Yes ma'am."

"Okay, now get me a scalpel." She demanded, and the medic rummaged through a drawer and a few seconds later she was handed a scalpel.

Citlali did her best to be quick but also cautious, she expanded the incision on the uterus to give her more access to the baby. Once the incision was big enough, she carefully pulled a teeny tiny baby out.

"It's a girl." He announced.

Citlali gasped, she was officially an aunt to a little girl.

To they're surprise, the baby managed to let out a strained cry. She was impressed and hadn't expected that from a baby born so early since the lungs weren't even close to being developed.

The medic glanced down at his watch to check the time, "Time of birth, 6:40 a.m." he announced before grabbing a pair of scissors, a clip, and a blanket. He handed the blanket to Citlali before clamping the umbilical cord and cutting it. Citlali hurriedly bundled the baby up, knowing the importance of keeping a premature infant warm.

Citlali took note of how the baby's chest contracted with each strangled breath, they needed to get to the hospital asap. "Look in my bag," she was thankful she remembered to bring her medical bag with her.

He frowned, "Why?"

She looked up from her niece, rolling her eyes and wishing the kid would just do what she asked, "Because I doubt this ambulance that only serves this one stoplight town is equipped with an ambu bag small enough that fits an infant this tiny."

He nodded, then glanced around the ambulance for the doctors bag, "Right." finding it, he quickly opened the bag, spotted it rather quickly then handed it to her.