Chapter 20

Daniella's Pov

“Apparently, her parents coerced her into the marriage because of my wealth. It was all about the money… all about it. But then and there I wanted to throw away all the confession she made if only she could look into my eyes and tell me she loved me a little bit. She didn't..” he said, looking all emotional.

I really don't know what to say or how to react right now. How could I have known Javier is this broken on the inside?

All the while I thought he would be the reason why his ex-wife left, but I was wrong. A part of me felt guilty for accusing him so wrongly in my thoughts.

He had loved Victoria, I could see that in his glistening eyes as he told his story. He had loved her and she broke him beyond words. What could I do to console him?

I found myself taking slow steps towards him and soon, I was beside him. With shaking hands, I gently guided his head to rest in the embrace of my arms.. Surprisingly, he didn't resist.

“Do you know what hurt the most?” He asked and I nodded no. “In as much as I want to hate her beyond words for everything she's done, I can't. There's a part of me that loves her.” He sniveled.

Javier broke down, I never thought I'd see the day. He really must love her and the thought of that made my hands cold, and my heart ache.

Why do I feel my heart ache at his confession? Is this just sympathy I feel for him? Or is this heartbreak I feel because my husband still loves his ex-wife even when I'm here?

No!

It can't be the latter, it musn’t.

🔹🔹🔹

Victoria's Pov

“Do you know what hurt the most? In as much as I want to hate her beyond words for everything she's done, I can't. There's a part of me that loves her.” I heard Javier admit through the thick door as I eavesdropped, I was overjoyed.

I am outside of his study, if I remember correctly. I planned on going in there and try to awaken the love he has for me, but I stopped mid-way when I started hearing his confessions. This confession infact, just made my job a whole lot easier. All I have to do is to play my cards well and I'll be back in his life before I know it.

Then his wealth will belong to me and my son by just the snap of my fingers.

“What are you doing here?” A voice startled me out of my thoughts.

I turned to see Penelope standing there. This miserable looking hag has always been a problem, I'll make sure to put her in her place before anything else.

“Nanny Lopé,” I exclaimed. "I just wanted to see Javier.”

“Didn't he make things clear that he doesn't want to see you till morning?”

“But I…”

“You are our guest here so I'll treat you the way I treat our guests with the outmost courtesy. Don't test me, know your limits.” She said, more like a warning.

I feel my anger rising up, if I stand here any much longer I'll explode and that will be the end game for me. I walked past her and headed for my room, but what she said made me pause on my step.

“I think I have a good guess what you are playing at, Victoria. You just hope your allegations are true because if they're not, you'll be sorry that you ever pulled this stunt. And it probably won't matter much if they're true, Javier will never be yours again because he has moved on with another.” She said and walked away.