Chapter 22

Daniella's Pov

I carefully placed Natalia's head on her pillow, she had fallen asleep in my arms. I covered her up with the duvet before turning the lights off and leaving the bedside lamp on for her.

I quietly made my way out of her room and down the stairs. I couldn't help but let my thoughts drift to the moment from earlier – how Natalia broke down emotionally, begging me to stay. At that moment, I knew I wasn't going to leave Natalia or this house.

I know it's strange, but I'm attached to this family. No matter how many times I try to tell myself that I do not belong here. But Javier has welcomed Victoria back to the house, what does this mean for me?

What if it means I won't have to stay here anymore?

Why does the thought scare me?

I made my way to the kitchen to get some water before heading to my room. I came to a halt on entering the kitchen. Victoria was at the counter, gulping down a glass of water.

I doubt she's aware of my presence with her eyes closed. I should just ignore her and grab what I came here for. I went straight to the refrigerator and opened it, I grabbed my bottle water.

“Oh dear! You gave me a fright just now.” I heard her say as I closed the refrigerator. Should I respond to her? I don't even like her for some reason I can't place my finger on.

“Sorry.” I said. That should do it.

“What's that your name again?” Her voice came, making me pause.

What's this now? I turned to her, a smug smile was evident on her face.

“Daniella..” I responded, reluctantly.

“Hmm. Do you mind if I call you Dani?”

“Not really.”

“To be honest, I thought you'd left the house already.” She said, making me frown.

“Why would I leave?”

“Oh, well. It's because I've returned, permanently. So I don't think Javier would be needing your services any longer.” She said with a tight smile.

Is she kidding me right now? I guess this is the reason why I didn't like her from the start.

“Your return to this house changes nothing, Victoria. I'm Mrs. Daniella Ruiz, legal wife to Mr. Javier Ruiz. So this is my house and I won't be leaving my home for some stranger.” I said, giving her a glare.

I bet she wasn't expecting that reaction from me judging by the surprised look that crossed her face for a moment.

“Apart from being a low life, you are utterly shameless as well..”

This woman!

“Says the woman who shows up in front of the family she abandoned for a love escapade, expecting to be accepted like nothing happened.” I retorted, trying to suppress how angry I feel right now.

“Oh darling, I'm not here in hopes that I will be accepted back into this family. I know as much as you do that I have been accepted because Javier still loves me dearly.” She said with a smirk.

That last statement of hers really got me, it made me recall Javier's love confession about Victoria. I'm afraid she's right on that part. I felt my chest tighten a little.

“Judging by the express on your face, I must be saying the truth.”

“You know just because he might still love you doesn't mean he still wants you back. If I were you, I'll be counting my days in this house. Goodnight, Victoria.” I said, giving her a small smile.