one

Scarlett Redd

Who am I? There are 7.9 billion people in the world. In the US alone there are over 333 million people and more being born every day.

So who am I, I ask myself. 

Well, I honestly don't know. I'm Scarlett Redd, just one single individual in this shitty world. I find myself questioning my existence, and if there really is a purpose of being here.

I wasn't always this curious. I used to think everything was so simple: the sky was blue, the grass was green, boys were mean to girls they had crushes on, and a sweet treat would always put you in a good mood.

But, as I near the end of my teen years, I seem to find myself longing for more.

As I brush my teeth this morning, I can't stop staring into my own eyes. Why don't I know who gave me these eyes? Or this nose? Or these lips?

It's like I barely recognized myself.

"Hurry up Scar we're gonna be late, stop having a staring contest with yourself, you look fine," I hear Stella groan.

She is not a morning person and she absolutely hates when we have to rush to our classes.

As I quickly grab my bag and throw on my Converse, I continue to think about who I am.

With my 19th birthday coming up, I can't shake the thought about what makes me, me.

The girls and I like to walk together to campus every morning, sometimes we even walk on the days we aren't all there for classes. We're a pretty tight-knit friend group. They're more like the sisters I never had.

I've known Stella and Kaia since the third grade. They wanted to play double Dutch but didn't have a third person to swing the ropes. Stella with her outgoing personality, waved me down and showed me how to play.

We have gone to school together since the first grade but I was quite shy.

I was diagnosed with anxiety when I was 4 years old. My ability to socialize with other children was horrendous. I just enjoyed my own company, but my therapist said as an introvert, that I suffered from "social anxiety".

Those first two years of my life contributed to my inability to communicate with others. I don't remember much as a child, but my adoptive parents said that I was very scared and nervous when they met me.

When at school, I never relied on anyone and would refuse to make any friends at all. Lucky for me, Kaia and Stella forced me out of my shell and taught me how to grow trust in them.

We were all so lucky to have been accepted into the University of Michigan, I couldn't imagine having to go to school without my two bestest friends.

Living in Michigan our entire lives wasn't really the ideal plan, we all wanted to travel and see the world beyond the state lines. But, being only a few hours away from home always brought me comfort.

We met Brooke our first year here, she was paired to a dorm with Kaia as her roommate at the last minute. She moved here from the west side, sunny state of California.

Brooke has an older brother, Beck, who was here last year to play hockey. He's now in the NHL playing for the Boston Bruins.

It has always been a dream to drive up the coastline and feel the sand under my toes. I've been to the beach before, but nothing like what Brooke told us about.

She talks about the hot surfer boys, the type of weather that leaves you with sun-kissed skin all year around, and the relaxing sounds of the waves crashing along the shore.