Nine

As the training session ended and I made my way back home, the route split into two distinct paths: one meandering through the bustling plaza of the town, and the other winding its way through a thick, dense forest. The town, with its lively chatter and vibrant commerce, was a stark contrast to the quiet, almost secretive embrace of the forest. Despite the longer walk, I found myself drawn to the latter; the forest felt like a refuge, a place where I could blend in with the shadows and the whispers of nature, away from the curious eyes of the kingdom that had never truly felt like home.

Ever since I had been brought to this realm because of my dragon magic, a sense of alienation had gnawed at me. The townsfolk, though respectful, always kept a wary distance, as if my powers marked me as other, as something to be cautious around. The forest, however, asked no questions and passed no judgments; it simply allowed me to be.

As I walked under the canopy of ancient trees, the light dimmed, filtered through dense leaves and branches into a mosaic of shadows and sunspots on the forest floor. The air was cooler here, scented with pine and the earthy dampness of the undergrowth. Each step on the soft, leaf-littered path was a step deeper into solitude, and with solitude came the unbidden memories of my past.

Vague images of my parents flashed through my mind—laughter, the warmth of held hands, the comfort of bedtime stories. But these memories were like fragments of a beautiful vase shattered long ago—irrecoverable in their entirety. The harder I tried to grasp the edges of these fragmented memories, the more elusive they became, slipping away into a chasm of forgetfulness that I had never managed to bridge. It was too painful, too raw to delve into the mystery of their disappearance and presumed deaths. Something within me, perhaps a self-preserving instinct, had sealed those memories away, locking them in a vault so deep that not even the truth could pry it open.

Amid these fragmented memories, there lingered a dark presence, an ominous shadow that seemed to stretch across every moment of joy or peace I'd ever known. It was as if it lay in wait, a malevolent specter lurking at the periphery of my happiness, ready to dissolve it at a moment's notice. This presence was not just a figment of imagination—it felt real, almost tangible, as if it had a breath and voice. Sometimes, in the stillness of the night or the quiet of the forest, I could almost hear its whispers, echoes of a past I had locked away so deep within myself that not even I could reach it.

The forest path seemed to contract around me, the afternoon light dimming into eerie shadows as an unbidden whisper floated through the air. Instinctively, my body tensed, and a shiver raced down my spine. I whipped around, eyes darting through the dimming light, searching for the source of the sound—a presence, a threat—anything that could explain the sudden chill in the air.

Nothing.

The woods were still, the only movement a gentle swaying of branches in the soft breeze. Yet, the sensation of being watched, of being not quite alone, clung to me, as tangible as the cool air that wrapped around my skin. My heart raced, and I could feel the familiar stir of my dragon magic rising within, a defensive surge fueled by fear and the deep-seated need to protect myself.

As I stood there, poised for action, a small deer emerged from the brush, its large eyes meeting mine in innocent curiosity. The tension in my body eased, but the magic within me didn't subside immediately, still crackling just beneath the surface, ready to ignite at the slightest threat.

I exhaled slowly, trying to calm the restless energy pulsing through me, and turned back toward the path leading home. The forest opened up to a quaint neighborhood, where each home nestled among the trees shared a similar rustic charm. My house, slightly larger than its neighbors, stood a short distance away, its familiar structure a welcome sight after the unsettling encounter.

As I approached, the warmth from the house seemed to reach out, promising safety and solitude. Yet, even as I stepped onto the porch, the echo of that whisper lingered in my mind, a ghostly reminder that not all was as peaceful as it appeared. 

After a brief pause on the porch, gathering my thoughts and steadying my nerves, I stepped inside the house. My mentor, Master Eldwin, was in the kitchen as I passed through on my way to get ready for the evening with Liam. The aroma of herbs and something simmering on the stove filled the air, a familiar comforting presence.

"Caroline, you're back earlier than I expected," he noted without turning around. His tone carried a hint of concern that made me pause. He continued, "Rebecca and Aria mentioned you've been attending training sessions at the castle."

I hesitated, then nodded, knowing there was no use in trying to hide it. "Yes, I have been," I admitted, leaning against the doorframe. The warmth from the kitchen did little to ease the chill that had settled inside me from the encounter in the forest.

He turned off the stove and faced me, his expression serious. "I understand you want to strengthen your abilities, but you must be cautious. The queen and king are keen on recruiting powerful individuals to their knights' ranks. Given your magic, they would be particularly interested in you."

His words added weight to the unease that had been building in me, especially after today's training and the complex emotions stirred by Nathan and Liam. "I know," I replied softly, "but I also need to learn to control my powers better. It's the only way I can protect myself."

Master Eldwin sighed, walking over to place a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "Just remember, not everyone at that castle has your best interests at heart. Trust is a luxury you can ill afford with them."

I nodded, absorbing his warning. The intrigue and danger lurking within the castle's stone walls were becoming increasingly apparent, and his cautionary words only deepened my resolve to be vigilant.

"Be careful, Caroline. And remember, you don't need to prove your strength to anyone. You are much more than what they seek for their army," he added, a stern yet caring look crossing his face.

Taking his advice to heart, I quickly headed upstairs to change, the conversation with Master Eldwin replaying in my mind. His warning made sense, especially considering the complexities I'd already encountered. The allure of gaining mastery over my abilities was strong, but so too were the risks involved in being so close to the heart of a kingdom that seemed to value power above all else.

Once ready, I took a deep breath and looked at my reflection in the mirror. Tonight's meeting with Liam wasn't just a diversion; it was a chance to step away from the shadows of the castle and its intrigues, to find solace in the company of someone who seemed to genuinely care about my well-being.