Fifty-Two | Eye For An Eye

They say I hold grudges like a dragon hoards its treasure.

Maybe that's true.

But I prefer to think of it as having a well-honed sense of fairness.

After all, if someone swipes your croissant at breakfast, shouldn't they expect a brioche to mysteriously disappear from their plate the next day?

It's all about maintaining balance in the universe.

Think of it like a set of scales.

If someone weighs me down with negativity, I feel compelled to add a little counterweight—reciprocating their energy to balance the notion out.

It's about ensuring harmony, not tipping the scales towards malice—but preventing myself from being unfairly burdened.

Some call it being petty...

I call it maintaining fairness.

- Azzy

Chapter Fifty-Two: Eye For An Eye

"I'm simply saying to leave Eli out of this one."

I glanced up from the sand Antonio and I were walking on, "But he's hiding something too and you—"

"I know, Azzy, but this is between you and Renata," Antonio cut me short, adjusting his black sunglasses on his nose.

I sighed almost dramatically, "Fine," I mumbled as we continued our walk on the beach back towards the hotel.

Antonio pursed his lips, "It's not that I don't want to help you—it's just..." he trailed off, sighing to himself, "You're already planned to marry her—meanwhile, Eli and I are still figuring everything out, and I don't want to scare him away."

And by his genuine tone alone, I could tell this meant a lot to him.

I nodded, understanding where he was coming from, "I get it, Toni—I just really want to know," I admitted as we approached the sandy walkway to the hotel.

"And I want to know too, but I at least have to mind my business until I get a ring on my finger," he determined, wiggling his ring finger as he flashed me a cheeky smile.

I laughed slightly, "Yeah, I suppose I'll wait for Renata to tell me," I determined, smiling as we held our key cards to the gates by the pool.

Where Renata and Eli were laying out under the sun by the glistening infinity pool as they waited for us.

And I swear she looked like a goddess, bronzed so perfectly under the sun—especially with her silky dark hair pulled into a sleek ponytail, matching her black two-piece.

The mere sight of her seemed to make my mouth water.

"Did you put on sunscreen?" I asked Renata, stopping by her cushioned lounge chair to sit down beside her.

Renata held her hand over her forehead, shading her eyes in such an unintentionally attractive manner as her dark eyes fell down my body.