Haunted

Demi's POV

"I can't believe they're making you work on Halloween it's like, the best holiday." I pouted, as I held my phone to my ear, talking to Lia before she went to work. 
"I get off at 8pm, is that too late?" She asked me. 

Yes, it was Halloween, my favourite holiday. I'd been planning for so long to go to one of those fright nights at some abandoned farm, with horror mazes and stuff. Dallas and I wanted to go, and so did Maddie, as well as two of my closest friends Matt and Daniel Montgomery, and I wanted Lia to come with us, but of course, she had to work. We'd planned to get there for 7pm, but for Lia to come we'd have to go later so she could finish work and then get ready. Since it was only open until 11pm, we wanted to have as long as we could.

"I mean, I'll talk to Dallas and the guys, see if they wouldn't mind going a bit later." I half sighed as I spoke. 
"No, Demi don't be like that, I'm not gonna ruin this for you I know it's your favourite holiday, just go without me, I'm not great with scary stuff anyway." She tried to help.
"I don't want to go without you though.." I drifted off at the end of my sentence. 
"I know but, if I go then it'll cut the time and it'll be rushed, and I'll ruin it being a wimp because I don't do well with scary stuff. Babe it'll be a better night if I don't go-"
"Lia, can I at least talk to Dallas and ask?" I cut her off, not wanting to accept the fact that I will have to go without her. 
"Of course, I'm not stopping you, I just don't want to be the reason that your friends and your sister will be annoyed with the rush that's all.." She spoke quietly. I sighed. 
"I just want to see you.." I whispered, feeling my eyes welling up. I'd seen her 4 times in the past 3 weeks. I couldn't deal with not seeing her for any longer, especially since I seemed to fall for her even more every day, which made it hurt not seeing her much. 
"I want to see you too babe." She sighed as she spoke. I felt a tear roll down my face, and I sniffed, then wiped it away.
"Baby, don't cry.." Lia said, her voice breaking as she spoke.
"You should- um, you're gonna be late for work." I managed to say as I tried to hold the need to breakdown back.
"I don't care-"
"Lia, I'll talk to you later, okay? I love you." I said with quite a harsh tone, regretting it as soon as I'd said it. 
"Demi I.." She stopped, then sighed. "I love you too." She whispered, then hung up the phone. 

I immediately broke down in tears as soon as the call ended, my body once again overtaken by fits of sobs. This was becoming more regular the longer I went without seeing Lia, she didn't understand how much better she makes me feel. I took a deep breath and picked up my phone again, found Dallas in my contacts and called her. 

"Demi, hey! What's up?" She asked, sounding very bubbly, as usual. I tried to speak, but nothing happened, just silence. Then I broke again, bursting into tears with my phone to my ear.
"I'll be right there Dems, stay strong I'll be 10 minutes." She spoke again, filling the silence, then hung up the phone.

Lia's POV

I stood at the entrance to the changing rooms, waiting for people to arrive to try things on, then just give them to me to go on the rail. This was my least favourite thing to do in this job. I leaned back against the wall, letting my head drop back against it too. I started to think about the phone call I had with Demi earlier, how she rushed to end it, and sounded like she was crying. I sharp pang of guilt hit me and I stood upright. Why did I just leave her like that? How useless actually was I? I looked around for someone to cover for me, I had to call her.
"Hey, Tess wait up!" I called to one of my co-workers, Tess. She turned on her heal, her auburn hair flowing around her as she turned to face me. I smiled and caught up to her. 
"Can you cover for me quickly? I need to call someone." I asked, biting my lip a little, hoping she'd say yes. 
"Sure thing, is everything okay?" She asked. I hesitated before responding.
"Yeah." I lied. She raised her eyebrows, then smirked, taking a step closer to me, her face now beside mine.
"Is it the girlfriend?" She whispered. I choked on my breath and took a step back, holding my fist over my mouth as I coughed. She burst out laughing and shook her head.
"Just 'cause John's old doesn't me he won't gossip! Go, I've got your back." She gave me a reassuring smile and headed to the changing rooms. I stood in place for a few seconds, attempting to process what just happened, then shook my head and hurried to the locker room.