The Movie

Demi's POV

I paid for the tickets for the movie, much to Lia's dismay; it took a lot of convincing and puppy dog eyes for her to let me pay. It was cute that she didn't want me to though. We walked into the screen and found our seats, she asked me to get ones at the back because it made her eyes go funny, her words not mine, when she sat closer to the screen. We were on the back row, near the edge. There was hardly anyone in the theatre, which was good, less attention on us. We sat down and put the drinks we'd bought in the little cup holders. I'd got a small popcorn, but Lia didn't get anything to eat.
"Want some?" I offered her the popcorn, tilting it towards her. I saw her smile and shake her head in the dim lights.
"No thanks, I'm good." She said. I just nodded and then placed the box on the floor until the movie started.

"Demi this is so fucking scary!" Lia cried as she hid her face in her hands, trying to cover her ears at the same time. She was adorable, just look at her! Wait, Demi what? Why are you thinking like that? Stop it, it'll never happen, I had an argument with myself in my head as I watched Lia curled up on the seat beside me.
"It's not too bad!" I tried to comfort her, but was too engrossed in the movie.
"Where's he going?" She whimpered, referring to the guy in the movie as she peeked through a gap in her fingers which covered her eyes.
"I think he's going to the girls room, she's still alive remember?" I told her in monotone, my eyes glued to the screen.
"Not really, I probably didn't look." She replied, her voice slightly shaky. What do I do? She's so scared... I thought. I hesitated before doing so, but I reached my arm over to her and held onto her hand. I felt her tense slightly at my touch, and saw her look at my hand. I didn't move my head, but just pretended not to be aware of her staring at my hand on hers.
"It's okay, I'm here, it's just a movie." I comforted her, rubbing my thumb back and forth on the back of her hand. I watched as the guy in the movie busted down the door to the girls bedroom where the camera panned to the child curled up on the floor, tears filling her eyes. Lia tensed again, as she carefully watched the scene. The guy held a bloody baseball bat in his hand, and an almost empty beer bottle in the other. His face covered in cuts and blood. He looked freaky. We both watched intently as the guy made his way over to the child, raised the baseball bat and thudded it down. A splatter of blood was shown on the screen before it went black, and just the sounds of the girls cries and the guy hammering the bat down. Lia stood up.
"I'll be back in a minute." Was all she said as she dropped my hand and ran down the steps of the theatre. She was gone before I could utter a word to stop her. What did I do?

Lia's POV

I ran out of the screen and leaned up against the wall beside the doors, trying to catch my breath but struggling to do so as my throat was so tight. I managed to get myself to the bathroom and lock myself in a cubical before a small group of girls came past, one of them staring at me weird. I pulled the lock across in the cubical and leaned against the side, then slid down so I was sat on the floor. The image of the murderer in that movie, beating the little girl to death flashed through my mind, as well as the memories of my own father beating me with glass bottles or his bare fist. The two similar images burned in my mind in alternate flashes. I felt a few tears fall down my cheeks as I sat on the floor. I grabbed some tissue and dabbed it across my cheeks, trying to be careful that I didn't mess up my makeup. This was meant to be a nice day out with Demi, she wanted to make friends and get to know me, and what have I done, just ran out on her. I'm such a bad person, I thought to myself. Just as I'd thought about Demi the door to the toilets opened. I heard the familiar click of boots on the floor.
"Lia? Are you in here?" Demi's voice spoke as she came in. I held my breath and stood up silently. She couldn't see me like this, she couldn't know.
"Lia?" Her voice spoke again, this time louder and clearer. I looked down at the floor and saw her boots outside the cubical door, and realised she'd found me. I unlocked the door and pushed it open slightly, giving Demi a second to move out the way so it didn't hit her. Her face dropped slightly as she looked at me. Oh god, what did I look like? She said nothing and just pulled me into her arms. I let my head fall on her shoulder as her warm breath crawled against my skin. Her arms held me tight at my waist, almost protectively.
"Come on, I'll take you back to mine." She said, pulling out of the hug and lightly holding onto my by my wrist. I nodded and followed her out back to her car.