Chapter 13: Pleasant Hill Arc part 3

It was a bright and seemingly ordinary day in Pleasant Hill, where life continued as usual under its placid surface. Rogue, now going by her alias "Claire," walked leisurely through the town with her pet fox, Kurama, securely leashed. As they strolled past the fire station, the friendly firefighter waved at her.

"Hello, Claire!" he greeted cheerfully.

She smiled and waved back, continuing her walk. Claire passed a businessman sitting in the park. His missing arm and eye patch told a story of survival, despite his polished suit. She nodded politely and moved on, walking past the funeral home, where the owner was busy sweeping the entrance, absorbed in his routine.

Her route took her past a local gym, where a man in purple workout clothes was pushing himself through an intense routine, a hat pulled low over his eyes. Further down the street, another gym showcased a woman with a scorpion ponytail punching a heavy bag with precision and power. Both seemed lost in their own worlds.

Finally, Claire arrived home. She unclipped Kurama's leash, letting him roam freely inside, and headed upstairs to find her husband, Menma Namikaze—formerly Naruto Uzumaki—working on his laptop. He looked up with a smile.

"How was your walk, honey?" he asked warmly as she wrapped her arms around him.

"It was nice," she said with a soft smile. "How's the book coming along?"

Menma sighed, his frustration evident. "I'm stuck. Writer's block."

Claire leaned closer, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "Maybe I can help you find some inspiration later," she whispered playfully.

Menma smirked at her suggestion. "I think that's exactly what I need."

They both laughed, sharing a moment of light-hearted intimacy. Claire kissed his forehead before heading downstairs to the kitchen. However, on her way, she heard a noise coming from Neoma's room. Curious, she knocked and entered, only to find her stepdaughter, Neoma, quickly covering herself with a sheet.

"What was that noise, Neoma?" Claire asked, her eyebrow raised.

"Uh, just sorting some stuff, Mom!" Neoma replied hastily, her voice betraying a hint of nervousness.

Claire noticed a movement under the sheet. Soon enough, Kamala's head popped out from under the blanket, looking embarrassed.

"Hello, Kamala," Claire greeted with a knowing smile.

After reminding them to keep the noise down, Claire closed the door, a gentle smile lingering on her face as she returned to the kitchen. She began making herself a sandwich, but just as she was about to enjoy her lunch, her phone started to ring.

"Dammit," Claire muttered. "I'm not answering the phone today."

The phone continued to ring, persistent.

Claire grumbled, "I'm just going to eat my lunch and—"

Deet! Deet! Deet!

She glanced at the phone and sighed, finally giving in. "Hello, Claire speaking."

The voice on the other end was unsettling. "Do you remember?"

Claire's eyes narrowed. "Whoever this is—this has gone on long enough. Stop calling me! It's not funny!"

"You asked me to reach out to you. Something's wrong."

Claire's heart skipped a beat. "Who are you? Do I... do I know you?"

"Yes."

"I feel like I'm going out of my mind!" Claire exclaimed, her voice shaking.

"Let's meet in my study. Do you remember what I told you long ago?"