ALEXANDER THE GREAT IN A STRANGE COUNTRY

Alexander the Great arrived on one of his trips to the capital of a kingdom, saying that he had come to see how people were judged there. At that moment two people appeared so that the king could settle his problem, since one had sold a field to the other and among the manure, the buyer found a treasure and being an honorable person, he wanted to return it to the seller; but the seller did not want to accept it, saying that the field was no longer his and that he had sold it with everything he had.
The king listened to the arguments and asked each one if they had children and they answered affirmatively. Then he ruled that the son of one should marry the daughter of the other and they should keep the treasure.
Alexander the Great heard all this and began to laugh.

Why are you laughing? - asked the king - did I not judge well? If this happened in your country, what would you do?
Very easy, answered Alexander, we would kill them both and the treasure would enter the royal coffers.  Then the king ordered a table to be prepared with gold loaves and golden birds. Can gold be eaten? Alexander was surprised. If you and your people cannot eat gold, why do you pursue it and love it so much?
Alexander was silent and the king continued:
Tell me, does the sun shine and does it rain in your country?
When he answered in the affirmative, the king continued:
Do you have cattle? I am sure that the sun shines and it rains not because of your merit, but because of the merit of your cattle.

_________________________________________

ALEJANDRO MAGNO EN UN PAÍS EXTRAÑO

Alejandro Magno llegó en uno de sus viajes a la capital de un reino, diciendo que venía a ver cómo allí se juzgaba a la gente. En ese momento aparecieron dos personas para que el rey dirimiese su problema, puesto que uno había vendido al otro un campo y entre el abono, el comprador encontró un tesoro y siendo una persona honorable, se lo quería devolver al vendedor; pero aquél no quería aceptarlo, diciendo que el campo ya no era suyo y que lo había vendido con todo lo que tenía.
El rey escuchó los argumentos y le preguntó a cada uno si tenían hijos y éstos respondieron afirmativamente. Entonces dictaminó que el hijo de uno se casara con la hija del otro y se quedaran con el tesoro.
Alejandro Magno escuchó todo esto y comenzó a reír.

¿Por qué ríes? -preguntó el rey acaso no juzgué bien? Si esto pasara en tu país, ¿como harías?
Muy fácil respondió Alejandro mataríam*s a los dos y el tesoro ingresaría las arcas reales.
Luego el rey ordenó preparar una mesa con panes de oro y aves de oro.¿Acaso se puede comer el oro? se sorprendió Alejandro Si tú y tu gente no pueden comer oro, ¿por qué lo persiguen y lo aman tanto?
Alejandro calló y el rey prosiguió:
Dime, ¿en tu país brilla el sol y llueve?
Al responderle afirmativamente, el rey prosiguió:
¿Ustedes poseen ganado?, estoy seguro de que el sol brilla y llueve no por vuestro mérito, sino por el mérito de vuestro ganado.