THE ANT HAS NO KING

Rabbi Shimon ben Chalafta liked to investigate everything. One day he decided to find out if what King Solomon said in the Book of Proverbs was true: "The ants have no king." In order to do so, in the middle of summer he found an ant's nest and waited for one to come out. Ants do not like the sun, so he spread a blanket over the nest and immediately an ant came out and walked around in the shade. Rabbi Shimon placed a sign on it so that it could be distinguished from the others, since it would surely warn the others that the sun was no longer shining. Immediately a large group of ants came out, along with the one who had gone to warn them. Rabbi Shimon lifted the blanket and the place became sunny. The ants became angry with the other ant, because they thought that it had deceived them, and they killed it on the spot.

"Now I see that they have no king," said Rabbi Shimon, "for if they had, they would have asked his permission before killing her."

_________________________________________

LA HORMIGA NO TIENE REY

Rabí Shimon ben Jalafta gustaba de investigar cada cosa. Cierta vez se le ocurrió investigar si era verdad lo que el rey Salomón dijo que" las hormigas no tienen rey" en el libro de los Proverbios. Para eso, en pleno verano buscó un nido de hormigas y esperó que alguna saliera. Las hormigas no gustan del sol, por lo tanto extendió un manto sobre el nido y enseguida salió una hormiga y se paseó en la sombra y Rabí Shimon le colocó una señal para poder distinguirla de las otras, puesto que seguramente avisaría a las demás que el sol ya no alumbraba. En seguida salió un grupo grande de hormigas, junto con la que les fue a avisar. Rabí Shimón levantó el manto y el lugar quedó soleado. Las hormigas se enojaron con la otra, porque pensaron que las había engañado, y la mataron en el lugar.

-"Ahora veo que no tienen rey" -dijo Rabí Shimón- porque si lo hubieran tenido, le hubieran pedido permiso antes de matarla".