THE FOX AND THE LION

Rabbi Meir Baal Hanes told the following fable:
A fox was walking through the forest and met a hungry lion, who wanted to attack and eat him.
It is not honorable for the king of the forest, said the fox, to eat lean meat like mine. Instead, come with me and I will show you a fat man, whom you can devour and be satisfied, and you will still thank me.
They continued walking and saw a large covered well and on the other side, a man was leaning under a tree, resting from his heavy work.
Seeing them, the man became afraid and began to ask the Eternal to save him from being devoured.
You know, said the lion, I am afraid of the man's request to the Eternal. I am afraid that he will punish me if I eat the man.
Do not be afraid, said the fox, nothing will happen to you; because the Eternal punishes only the grandchildren of the sinner, but the sinner himself, he does not touch.

If that is so, I will eat the man, said the lion and jumped to attack him, but fell into the well, from which he could not get out.

The fox stood at the edge of the well and looked at the lion who did not stop roaring.

You are a false fox, roared the lion, you deceived me and lied to me.

You promised me that nothing would happen to me, only to my grandchildren, and now the Eternal has punished me and I will die here of hunger and thirst.

I did not tell you any lies, replied the fox, it is true that the Eternal does not punish the sinner, but his grandchildren. But you must know that your grandfather sinned and that is why you receive the punishment.

The lion became enraged and shouted:
What kind of punishment is this, the parents ate unripe fruit and the children's teeth must hurt?
Before it seemed fair to you that your grandchildren should suffer for your sins, said the fox, now you can suffer for the sin of your elders.

_________________________________________

EL ZORRO Y EL LEÓN

Rabí Meir Baal Hanes contaba la siguiente fábula:
Un zorro iba por el bosque y se encontró con un león hambriento, que quería atacarlo y comerlo.
No es honroso para el rey del bosque le dijo el zorro comer una carne flaca como la mía. Mejor ven conmigo y te mostraré un hombre gordo, a quien podrás devorar y quedar satisfecho y todavía me lo vas a agradecer.
Siguieron caminando y vieron un pozo grande tapado y del otro lado, un hombre estaba apoyado bajo un árbol, descansando de su pesado trabajo.
Al verlos, el hombre se asustó y comenzó a pedir al Eterno que lo salvara de ser devorado.
Tú sabes dijo el león me da miedo el pedido del hombre al Eterno. Temo que me castigue si me como al hombre.
No tengas miedo dijo el zorro a ti nada te pasará; porque el Eterno castiga únicamente a los nietos del pecador, pero al pecador mismo, no lo toca.

Si es así, me comeré al hombre, dijo el león y pegó un salto para atacarlo, pero se cayó en el pozo, de donde no podía salir.

El zorro se colocó a la vera del pozo y miraba al león que no cesaba de rugir.
Eres un zorro falso bramaba el león me engañaste y me mentiste.
Me prometiste que a mí nada me iba a suceder, solamente a mis nietos y ahora el Eterno me castigó y moriré aquí de hambre y sed.

No te dije ninguna mentira repuso el zorro es verdad que al pecador el Eterno no lo castiga, sino a sus nietos. Pero tienes que saber que tu abuelo pecó y por eso recibes el castigo.
El león se enfureció y gritó:
¿Qué clase de castigo es este, los padres comieron frutas inmaduras y los dientes de los hijos deben doler?
Antes te resultaba justo que por tus pecados sufrieran tus nietos dijo el zorro ahora puedes sufrir por el pecado de tus mayores.