SOPHIE 

"Sophie!"

Hannah's voice takes me back to planet Earth. Sleep was taking over and my heavy eyes are still fighting against my will to keep them open. Busy struggling with my own body, I had become estranged from the reality around me. My senses quickly readjust to the current situation. Under the palms of my hands, I feel the smooth and warm wood of the school desk. The chair underneath me is a reminder that unfortunately I am not in my bed, so my head must stand straight without outside help.

Hannah's thick hair brushes against my face as her arms squeeze me in a vanilla-flavored embrace. The golden, curly hair fully represents her personality. She is always sunny, full of energy, and as lively as the colorful clothes she wears.

Hannah sits down next to me. It is obvious from the tone of her words, this morning she is thrilled, to say the least.

"I've just made a crazy discovery, a worldwide exclusive for my best friend. Ready? Cristina cheated on Matt!"

I'd like to tell her that there wouldn't be much to be happy about, since we're talking about a betrayal, but I know her too well. She thinks she's a journalist with a scoop that will change her career, and I admit I love hearing her stories, so I let her finish.

"Jack, PizzaLover's delivery boy, made a drop to Cristina's neighbors and before leaving he saw her kissing another boy outside the house. So what did he do? He took a picture! Brilliant! They sent it to me, wanna see?"

Hannah's face is increasingly shocked, and I try to hold back a laugh.

Her biggest dream is to become a journalist. For as long as I have known her, she has always tried her hand at being a small town reporter in our town. She knows everything about everyone and she's often the first to find out gossips. She is very well connected and has gained the trust of several people at school. Most of the time people come to get her up to speed on what's new.

I have always wondered how this strange mechanism of trusting her came about. She doesn't have strong bonds with the guys who gossip to her, as a matter of fact she barely knows them. I've never been able to give myself an answer to this, but I think she manages to make people feel comfortable when they open up to her. In her opinion, they see her as an outsider with whom they can vent.

Hannah goes into detail about her exciting news, until the literature teacher enters the classroom and begins the lesson.

The professor's words go through my mind like a train goes in and out of a tunnel in seconds. All I'm thinking about is the science test. I have studied a lot and I need it to go well. I need good grades this year to raise my score in the final ranking for the admission to med school and to get a scholarship. There are many renowned universities to which I aspire, but I would accept less prestigious institutes in order to study medice. Becoming a doctor has been my dream for as long as I can remember.

The deafening sound of the bell anticipates the professor's words.

"That's all for today, guys. See you the day after tomorrow."

All the students get up and alongside them Hannah and I. Our paths will now slip to rejoin only at lunchtime. I say goodby to her and head to the science classroom, while she climbs the stairs in the direction of the math classroom.

The literature classroom and the science one are at opposite ends of the institute.

Our school is sizable and is divided into three interconnected buildings. These buildings, in turn, are on two floors. The structure is modern, and from the outside, reddish bricks make their way between large windows that filter the sunlight. The areas, which serve as a link between the three buildings, are entirely made by beautiful glass windows. The hallways are spacious and have high ceilings.