SOPHIE

"I just witnessed a surreal scene." Hannah shouts as she sits down next to me.

It is only the second period of Monday morning, what could have happened so early?

"I just saw Ms. Rosaria, the one who works in the school cafeteria, kissing psychology professor Johrt!"

She screams and her face is a perfect mix of excitement and disgust. I burst out laughing. Only she could happen to witness such a scene.

"Where did you see them?" I ask in curiosity.

"I was on my way to the secretary's office to turn in a form that my mom forgot to attach to the tuition payment. On the way I passed by the music classroom and hearing whispers, I stopped. Whispers equals incoming gossip! So, I leaned slightly into the recess and from a small opening in the door left ajar, I saw them! One on top of the other, disgusting to say the least! I swear."

Proudly I tell her that she will be a great reporter, while a little voice echoes incessantly in my head. The little voice reminds me that I am keeping a secret from my best friend. It is time to find the strength to share this story that is surreal to say the least. What is happening is becoming bigger than me and I can no longer handle it alone. I need to talk to my friends about this and I sincerely hope they will not think I am crazy.

In the hours leading up to lunch, the little voice did not leave my mind for a second. I rehearsed and rehearsed a mental speech so that I could be ready and not forget a single detail. There are no more excuses today during lunchtime I will tell everything. It is decided. 

-

We are sitting at our usual table in the school cafeteria. Today Thomas has training in the afternoon, so he has joined Hannah and me for lunch.

I am aware that the dining hall is the worst place to tell a secret, too many ears around us and not that far away the "Fantastic 6" table.

I am estranged from the conversation Hannah and Thomas are having. I am reasoning about how to intervene to ask them to move away from the crowded cafeteria.

For a few moments I am back to reality surrounding me and realize that I can interrupt their conversation without any problem. They are in fact arguing about which iced tea is best. Hannah proudly claims that peach tea beats lemon tea a thousand to one. Thomas keeps telling her that she doesn't understand anything because lemon tea is without a shadow of a doubt the best drink on earth.

They have been debating the issue for about ten minutes. I am well aware that these discussions can go on for hours. Once, they argued about which chocolate tasted better, whether milk or dark chocolate, and it went on for days. No joke. Hannah also did some research to get her case stronger.

"Thomas, my dear friend, you lemon tea lovers are insufferable. It is scientifically proven that you are conceited and narrow-minded people. Yes, because we of the peach tea do not discriminate, indeed I say that if there were nothing else I would drink the lemon one. Instead you are limited and rather die of thirst."

Says Hannah and from her tone it would sound more like a political debate on an extremely controversial issue than just a discussion about a drink.

"Guys..." I announce trying to get their attention. At the same time they turn toward me and from the expression on their faces I know they are expecting my opinion about the iced tea. In many sort of arguments like this one, I become the needle. They feel like two lawyers who have to convince the judge, namely me, to support their case.