BENJAMIN

Her honey-colored hair waves down her back and she disappears behind the massive school gate. Sophie is long gone by the time I realize that I have not been given time to explain. I should have gotten up and followed her, given the importance of the bracelet. I did not expect her to bring it back to me with the rest of the group present.

Nervously I run the chain through my fingers. I mentally curse myself. Now I have to think of another way to give it to her.

Feeling the gaze of my friends on me, I roll my eyes. A giggle escapes from Chris's mouth.

"Man, you' look like a total idiot" His hand slams against my shoulder.

A wave the irritation spreads from the spot just hit, to the rest of my body. I don't see why he thinks it's so funny.

I even gave her a wink before walking away from her table, what was I supposed to do? It seemed clear to me, it was a gift and as such she should have kept it.

"This was the fool-proof technique you were telling us about? You don't look like an idiot, you're one," Adele added, always ready to overwhelm people with compliments.

"Your idea isn't even that bad, but I would have done the exact sam thing, since you didn't point out it was a gift," Ulani adds as she moves away a braid that has just slipped over her face.

"Since you are so good, why don't you take care of it?" I reply sharply.

"I couldn't care less about that girl and I'm not going to do anything about it." Adele replies and I want to say something, but I think its better if I keep my mouth shut. She is despised by every girl in the school, I highly doubt she could even have a civil conversation with Sophie.

"I say your bullshit doesn't work with someone like her." Sebastian's unnecessary opinion throws gasoline on the fire that burns inside me.

Sebastian is surrounded by an aura of mystery that attracts girls like bees to flowers. He changes more girls than he changes his underwear; he is unable to gain any girls' trust.

"Please, go head and show me your techniques, since you are the real expert in love. Go after her and do it now. "

I choose these last words on purpose.

"I don't think so. I'm not going to be the idiot of the family who follows every order just like you."

"I'm doing this for you too, jerk."

Despite our friendship and kinship, as cousins, our relationship has crumbled in the last years. His attitude is unbearable. He has to prove, every chance he gets, that he is better than all of us, especially better than me.

Adele interrupts us again: "Excuse me, have any of you seen her? She is a poor delusional girl. You give her a taste of who we are and she is willing to do anything to get the whole course."

I still don't quite get Sophie. However, I can't help but agree with what the platinum-haired girl with the high-pitched voice is saying. Everyone is attracted to us, some people have a hard time admitting it. No one in our little group has ever been rejected.

We are an Elite, it has always been the six of us and no one else. The bond, we have, has built on strong basis, meaning our families and the company they own.

Our families demand high levels of secrecy from us, especially when talking about the company's affairs. We try, despite the popularity in our small town, to be as private as we can.

Our parents got us involved in the company businesses a couple of years ago. Sebastian and I are much more involved than the other kids. My father and his brother, that is, Sebastian's dad, were the first ones to found the group. Our destiny, but especially mine, was written many years before we were born, whether we like it or not, we are the heirs of their "empire."

"Are you guys coming over today?" Jia asks changing the subject.

Chris rests his arm on Jia's shoulders as he makes a mess of her hair saying:

"Dear Jia, you know exactly how to make me happy! After this hard day, all I need is to soak in your hot tub."

We get up and together we walk to the school parking lot, crossing the garden past the exit gate. We walk by one of the three buildings of the institute, I put my hand in my pocket, pull out my car keys and press the button to open it. Chris, who came to school with me this morning, rushes inside.

"Can I come with you, Benji?" Ulani asks in a gently, and I nod. I invite Jia to join us too. The other car in the school parking lot that belongs to someone in the group is Sebastian's, and like Jia, I know Adele wants to be alone with him. Adele can be really mean to her so-called best friend. Sometimes, I pity her, to be honest.

I start the engine and drive past the gate of the parking lot toward our houses. The drive is about ten minutes long, we pass through some residential areas. Some children with colorful backpacks, walk along the sidewalk hand in hand with what could be their moms or dads. Printed on their faces there are beautiful smiles. I know these streets perfectly, having walked them countless times. It is the neighborhood that divides our residential area, formed only by our six villas, at the institute. Antoine-Laurent de Lavoisier Institute encompasses a comprehensive education that starts in elementary school and goes all the way up to high school. All grades are located in buildings not far from each other. I have passed through this roads every day since I was six years old.

I remember clearly the first time I noticed this area, I must have been in my second or third year of elementary school. My parents were always too busy to take me to school, so they had hired a private driver. I was sitting in the back seat, belt strictly fastened. Mario, the chauffeur, did not talk to me during the ride and merely waved as I got in or out of the car.

He would watch me cross the long schoolyard and when the front door closed behind me, he would start the car and drive away. During this short drive, I remained silent and stared at Mario's. One day, something changed. The car slowed down to stop at a red light. My gaze was always fixed on the driver. His right hand was trying to opening the small door in front of the passenger seat. I knew his actions perfectly; he was reaching for his sunglasses. That was the last time I saw Mario do this action. A small cry called my attention to what was happening outside of the vehicle. I turned around and saw a little girl with long chocolate hair twirling in a man's arms.

She laughed out loud as she struggled and screamed. She called that man "daddy" and said something to him that he did not hear, but soon after her "daddy" with a quick movement put her on his shoulders. The smile of that little girl bewitched me. Suddenly, they were out of my sight. The light turned green. I leaned my elbows on the window and kept looking out. From that moment on, there was not a day that I did not secretly peer at those cheerful children prancing hand in hand with their "daddies," their "mommies," or even their grandparents. I later discovered that there was a public elementary school in the parallel street. 

Once we pass through the residential area, a small hairpin turn runs along side the hill where our houses are located. I stop the car in front of a large white gate of the Ling's house. Jia rolls down her window and presses a small blue button at the side of the entrance. On the other side a female voice, which I know is heir maid's, asks who it is.

"It's Jia, I'm here with my friends." The gate opens showing the large garden surrounding the Ling mansion. We leave the car to the right of the gate, we all get out and head for the entrance. The house has an oriental style, but with a modern architecture. On the left of the entrance there is a small pond surrounded by white stones and this is just an example of the house decorations reflecting the Chinese tradition. The villa is structured on three floors, it is possible to identify them from the outside by terraces and small roofs with the typical upward curvature. Two large statues shaping dragons mark the entrance to the house.

We know each other well and we spend most of our afternoons at each other's houses. That is why, we feel as if we were at our own place. Chris and I go down to the basement, while Jia and Ulani rush upstair, probably to Jia's room. Chris throws himself on the couch and turns on the television, ready to challenge me on the Playstation.