SEBASTIAN

My uncle slams his notebook on the desk, gets up and leaves. Everyone follows him close behind. I get up and join the others who are leaving the room. Adele is leaning against the doorframe waiting for me. We are walking toward the elevator, when Benjamin storms out.

"What the fuck were you laughing at? You think I can't win her over? She's already mine."

"Well..."

A disapproving sound escapes my lips. It doesn't seem to me to be "already his."

"Do you have anything to say?"

My cousin turns his full anger on me. He is furious, but his face at this moment is very funny. I reply very calmly:

"I think you are very far from winning her over. Your problem is that you think she's like the other girls you fuck."

"No this bullshit again!"

"Why do you always have to defend her?" Adele's high-pitched voice pierces my brain. I have never defended her. I say what I think, which is that Benjamin will not win this time. Jia joins the conversation in support of Adele, and Benjamin continues:

"So she is like the girls you screw, isn't she? You talk as if you can win her trust, please! You are pathetic."

Shocks of anger run down my spine. I'm about to insult him, when Chris beats me to the punch.

"I like bets! I bet 200 on my friend Sebastian."

He pats me on the shoulder and chuckles. Actually, thanking about it, it is not such a terrible idea. I could accept the challenge. I'd kill two birds with one stone.

I would take that irritating smile off Benji's face, and I might even help Sophie. I am starting to fear the ways in which my cousin will extract information from Sophie. He is too determined to prove to his father wrong about him.

"I think Benjamin will win. She seems too sweet to trust you Seb...sorry."

Ulani says while looking at me with soft eyes to further mark her apology.

"My money is on Seb..." says Jia, but before she can continue she is silenced by a glance from Adele, in which one can definitely read: "did I tell you to talk?"

"Benjamin already has victory in sight. Anyway, I don't care at all about this stupid bet. I'm just waiting for the day when she finds out that, in fact, no one gives a damn about her."

Adele adds laughing.

As children Benji and I were inseparable, but in recent years, the constant comparisons our families make, especially his father, have put us in a relentless competition. So I have only one thing on my mind now: winning.

"We'll find out after her 18th birthday." I announce while being deliberately presumptuous.

Everyone mumbles both amazed and thrilled.

After all, who doesn't like a challenge?

I have to protect Sophie and prevent anyone from hurting her. Even if she hates me at the end of this whole thing, I wouldn't care. What matters is that no one dares to lay a finger on her. I am not exaggerating when I say that I fear for her life. 

-

I am about to get into my car when Adele runs up to me. She comes close to my ear whispering:

"My parents are leaving soon and will be back in the morning, will you come over? You know I don't like being home alone..."