SOPHIE

I open the front door and realize that I have gone all the way by automatism. My thoughts are still in that closet concentrated on solving the puzzle Sebastian has thrown at me. I can't give up on him, I can't. But what other choice do I have? Pride burns my skin like fire does to wood.

I sit on the couch, Zoe jumps beside me, and between my legs Blackie crawls to welcome me back. Blackie and, her brother, Felix, are two inseparable kittens we adopted just before Zoe.

I'm blacked out, a thick fog has set in my head. I take a deep breath. I have to put everything that has happened in order.

The obvious information is that a GPS was indeed in the backpack and that Sebastian was aware of it. Everything else can be contradicted. I have no evidence that Benjamin did it, and there are also no grounds for this theory. I can only go with my gut feeling. As much as I despise Sebastian, he did not seem to be joking, unless he is secretly an Oscar-winning actor. Benjamin also always seemed honest when we spent time together. The conclusion is that the most convenient thing to do is to put the GPS in Zoe's collar. In case Sebastian's words encapsulate the truth, I would not make these unknowns suspicious. If it were a joke, I would turn out to be the laughingstock. In any case, it would not be the first time, so I have nothing to lose.

I swallow my pride as I repeat to myself that my decision does not imply Sebastian's success.

-

I look in the mirror and this outfit doesn't convince me either. I've been turning my closet upside down for about half an hour to find something that convinces me. It's Sunday and soon Benjamin will pick me up to go to the art exhibition.

Despite Friday's information, I have decided to go. In fact, I need to investigate this matter and this is a great opportunity for me. I intend to study Benjamin well and try to extrapolate anything from him.

I will also go into the woods this week, I am not going to listen to Sebastian about his stupid order. I have already compromised on the tracker, that seems sufficient.

What do you wear to an art exhibition, in which a good portion of the people will be very wealthy? This question will never be answered.

It's five o'clock and I start to leave in the hope that it wasn't all a joke. I really hope Benjamin won't stand me up.

I put a lot of effort into getting ready. In the end, I wore a monochrome outfit, skirt and light beige cotton sweater. I tied my hair in a half-tail stopped with a greenish ribbon. I have bows in all colors and I really like wearing them. On my shoulder a bag the same color as my bow. I also put on light makeup.

I am sitting on the little chair on the patio, praying I have not made all this effort in vain.

He hasn't been in touch these days, he doesn't have my phone number but he could have texted me on Instagram eventually. He started following me after the afternoon spent at his place for the art project. I didn't have the courage to text him, simply because he was the one who suggested it to me. I didn't want to seem pushy.

Hannah agreed with my reasoning. She proposed that if in case he did not show up, we would go out to eat together to plan our revenge.

As I am deep in my own thought, a dark gray car pulls in front of my driveway. Despite my total ignorance about cars, I recognize it to be an expensive car and probably sport model. I realize immediately that it is Benjamin. I breathe a sigh of relief, glad that he didn't stand me up. At the same time, I sense an emptiness making its way into my stomach. The possibility that he is not who he wants me to believe scares me. I take a deep breath; I need to find out more, and this is the time to do it.