SOPHIE

I look down, catching glimpses of people in the distance. They are still far enough away to distinguish the figures who are walking in my direction. They get closer and closer, until they stop a few meters from the tree on which I am spying them on. A small gap between the bright green leaves allows me to give a close look at the small group of people. I open my eyes wide to focus on each individual. My gaze stops on one man.

It is John Ricci. He adjusts his burgundy tie and with a small cough clears his throat. The attention of those present is all on him now and so he begins to speak. The words come to me smashed like crumbs from a sandwich. I have to make a great auditory effort to understand every word. The noises of the forest distract me, but curiosity burns within me and does not let me escape a single syllable of Mr. Ricci's speech.

"Colleagues, we are here today with Dr. Migliano."

A man makes room among those present and starts shaking hands one by one. He passes for a few seconds in the opening gap from which I am witnessing the scene. The man is wearing a beige polo shirt and round glasses. During the various handshakes, the group has shifted and the initial positions have shuffled. In fact, in my field of vision stands a middle-aged woman.

Her licorice-black hair braided into a bun is perfectly pulled back. Her oriental and well-defined features cannot help but remind me of Jia. I am almost certain to be her mother. From the stories I have heard about the six families, I remember that in the Ling family, it is really Jia's mother who has managed business and she is the partner in the company. Mrs. Ling is elegant, composed and conveys a sense of superiority, just like Miranda Prisley in 'Devil Wears Prada.'

John Ricci resumes speaking, bringing my attention back to his words.

"The doctor will follow us on this exploration of the 'Ellis Banks Cave.' As you already know he will extract only a very small sample and will have a month to find the formula. He and his team will be working in Lab 8."

Ellis Banks?

I remain petrified on that branch, my gaze fixed through the gap where the group is now gone. I cannot quantify how much time passes before I can formulate a meaningful thought. My body reacts before my mind. I find myself walking on the path in the direction of my house. I open the door still under the effect of those words that have been like a drug. I am in a state of confusion. Those ten letters hit me and my head is still spinning from the blow. I go up to the room and lie on the bed.

What does my mom have to do with this?

Why would a cave be named after her? It can't be a coincidence. I can't make sense of it all.

My dad never told me about a cave being named after my mom. He always told me so many things about her, I can't understand the reason for omitting this information. It should be a beautiful thing, we could have gone into the woods together and visited it. A small place to celebrate her memory.

Why did he never tell me about it?

The only thing I can do right now is to ask my dad for explanations.

I close my eyes and try to calm down. The silence of the house makes me feel my heart throb in my chest. Soon after, I hear the key turn in the lock of the front door downstairs and realize that my dad's home

"Sophie..." He shouts to announce his presence.

"Hi daddy!" I get out of bed and go downstairs to greet him.

"Hi honey, how are you?"

"Good thanks, you?"

He lays his briefcase on the sofa and Zoe jumps on top of him.