SOPHIE

I turn away from Sebastian and Adele, rushing into the bathroom, which is a few steps away.

I open the sink, let the water run, and cool down. My phone vibrates in my pocket, with my elbow I set off the electric towel. After that, I pull out my phone:

Hannah: Soph I'll wait for you at the usual place :)

I text her back that I am on my way. I leave the bathroom and head for our "usual place", which is a spot in the hallway leading to the school library. About halfway down the hallway is a fairly spacious white ledge. We often spend our break there chatting. When I get there Hannah is on the windowsill with her legs dangling waiting for me. Helping myself with my arms I jump up as well. I cross my legs as I greet her. I tell her what just happened.

"No way!! You at Benjamin's?" She says almost in shock then adds: "I've said it before and I'll say it again that boy is crazy about you." She chuckles.

"Oh please... It was just a bracelet, not even mine..."

I don't really think he's interested in me. It wouldn't make sense that out of the blue he starts liking me. He had so many occasions when he might have made the first move. For example, every party I go to with Thomas. He never showed any sign of interest. He never even spoke to me directly; we only talked in groups.

"Soph, listen to your best friend. I know almost everything about everyone. Anyway, I'll ask my sources, if they know something more about him. Okay?"

"All right, but I don't want to get my hopes up."

"Oh again with these stories? Remember: Delulu is the solulu!"

We both burst out laughing. I jump down from the windowsill and say goodby to her.

"Wait a second! When you go, you'll have to tell me everything from the moment you arrive until the moment you leave. I also want a hyper mega-extra detailed description of the house, complete with... "

"Hannah, I will also tell you if I accidentally find a crumb on the table."

"Don't joke about these things, I need scoops! I need to work!"

My friend says in a threatening tone while pretending to cry. I greet her and run away before she can continue with her psychological violence.

-

It is Friday, and I would not have wanted school to end today. I would have rather listen to a long physics class, but unfortunately I am walking to Benjamin's for the art project.

This area is quite isolated, there are only the six villas belonging to well-known families. If you live in the city, it is impossible not to know where they are located. This area is slightly elevated from the rest of the city. When they arrived in town, they built for themselves this space that we can call an "elite" residential area. The long street that runs along the knoll houses the entrances to the six residences, three on the right and three on the left.

The first two villas in front of each other are the Ricci cousins'. To my left, a colossal gate divides me and Benjamin's house. I hesitate long before ringing.

I wonder if I brought everything. Since he haven't told me if he needed something, I had to improvise. I put anything that we might have need for the art project in my backpack: cardboards, pencils, brushes, tempera...and even some cookies. I don't like to show up to someone's house without bringing something. Especially since my father told me that my mum would not go to someone's empty-handed. The gift, she preferred bringing, was almond cookies and that's what I brought today.