Sixty-Six | Another Time

The art of mixing paints is delicate.

You have your vision, a vibrant masterpiece growing in your head. 

But then reality hits. 

Achieving the perfect shade is a compromise

You add a touch of crimson, but it dulls the intended brilliance. 

A hint of gold, and suddenly the whole mixture turns warm. 

It's a dance, this art of compromise. 

You give a little to gain a little, hoping the end result is a masterpiece—and not a mix of a muddy brown.

I just hope Renata and I can create a masterpiece out of our compromise...

 Without ruining our creation entirely.

- Azzy

Chapter Sixty-Six: Another Time

"Azura?"

I hummed almost unconsciously, snapping out of my thoughts as my eyes met hers.

"Would you like to have a seat?" Renata offered, sitting on the couch as she waited patiently for me to sit down with her.

But I simply couldn't.

Not without contemplating what was too close and what wasn't close enough.

Renata raised a brow when I hesitantly walked over to her—walking past the other end of the black sectional couch, so I could sit closer to her.

Much closer to her.

"Oh?" Renata suddenly said as soon as I straddled her lap.

I hesitantly placed my hands on her shoulders, shifting slightly on her lap as soon as her dark eyes burned into mine—clearly wanting an explanation for my sudden lack of space.

"I... want to compromise," I finally said, stumbling over my words slightly.

Renata tilted her head as she stared up at me, "You want to compromise?" she repeated back to me, wanting a clearer explanation.

Yet I could only glance down to her hands still stuck by her sides—not making a move to wrap them around my waist or touch me in general.

Had I done something wrong?

"I want to..."

I trailed off as soon as her warm hands ran up my covered thighs, settling at my waist.

"Better?" she clarified, noticing my previous line of sight.

My lips twitched up slightly, "So much better," I admitted, caressing my fingertips against her neck with hopes of grounding myself.