A Sacrifice To Remember

As the battle raged on at Kurukshetra, Arjun, Krishna, and Iravan stood together, their spirits united in the fight for justice and righteousness.

Flashback

"How can I slay Pitamah, Madhav?. I have learnt archery sitting on his lap and he saw reflection of my father in me..the love, affection and care which he gave helped me to relive my lost childhood,how can I put end to it?" asked Arjun with a pang of nostalgia and throbbing pain in heart.

"I can understand your emotions, Parth. But Pitamah has done injustice to two women in his lifetime and he surely needs to be terminated. Look at your inflicting wounds, they speak more than you do. Because of his valour, we are losing our soilders" replied Krishna putting his hand on Arjun's shoulders.

Subhadra was dressing her brother's hand which was pain after holding reins for so long time stopped in her tracks. She looked up with curiosity and unshed tears towards Arjun.

"Subhadrey, I am fine don't worry about me, this time Parth should understand to understand Fate wants one more sacrifice from him"said Krishna with warm smile.

"What injustice Madhav!?.My heart can't understand your riddles now..Sakha please explain properly"asked Arjun almost baffled.

"Pitamah was cursed by Devi Amba, a Princess from Kashi whom he couldn't marry out of a vow of celibacy.In this life, she is your half brother in law Shikhnandini"

Arjun, though perplexed to hear this wished to ask many questions,had to put hold on his thoughts due to midnight trail of moon. He decided he will ask Krishna once they return on the third day.

Flashback Ends

Iravan, the young warrior, had proven himself in battle, his bravery and skill unmatched by any other. But now, as victory drew closer, he set two conditions before his father that weighed heavily on his heart.

"Father, I will fight by your side and give my all to defeat our enemies," Iravan declared, his voice strong and unwavering. "But I ask of you two things in return. First, I will not die unmarried, for I need a wife to mourn my death with love and beauty. And second, I want to tell my mother entire war as eyewitness ."

Arjun and Krishna exchanged a knowing look, understanding the gravity of Iravan's request. Arjun's heart ached at the thought of his son's impending fate, but he knew that he must honor Iravan's wishes.

Arjun recalled his period of self imposed exile of 12 years when he met Nagrani Uloopi for the first and perhaps the last time.

Flashback

"Panduputra Arjun,you fulfilled my wishes of becoming a mother. I grant you a boon which will help you in future"said Uloopi with eyes full of gratitude.

"No Nagrani I don't need anything.. please allow me to go. I already broke my promise to someone very special" replied Arjun with guilty heart of betraying Draupadi and Subhadra.

" Listen to me once, O mighty Kshatriya. You will be able to cross all seas and oceans without fear of being drowned. All sea/ocean creatures will respect you. And whenever you need me or my son, we will be at your service.Well,dear Warrior have you chosen any name for your son?" said Uloopi meekly.

" Iravan, or The Invincible One"replied Arjun briefly as he left on another destination.

Flashback Ends

Krishna, in his infinite wisdom, nodded solemnly. "I will become your wife, Maithili, for two nights, as per your request, dear Iravan. It shall be done."

And so, under the cover of darkness, Krishna assumed the form of Maithili, the most beautiful and enchanting of women. Iravan looked upon Krishna with awe and reverence, for he knew that this was no ordinary woman, but the divine Vishnu himself.

For two nights, Krishna, disguised as Maithili, held Iravan in his arms, offering comfort and solace in the face of impending doom. Their love transcended the boundaries of time and space, a bond forged in the fires of battle and strengthened by divine grace.

As the sun rose on the third day, Iravan bid farewell to Krishna, his heart heavy with sorrow yet filled with gratitude for the love and compassion shown to him. He knew that his time on this earth was limited, but he faced his fate with courage and acceptance, knowing that he had fulfilled his duty as a warrior and a son.

Arjun and Krishna stood by Iravan's side as he rode into battle once more, his spirit unbroken and his resolve unwavering. And in that moment, they knew that Iravan's sacrifice would not be in vain, for his bravery and love would be remembered for generations to come.

Present Status
Iravan's sacrifice is commemorated during the annual Koothandavar Festival in Tamil Nadu, where his story is reenacted through various rituals and performances. He is considered a symbol of bravery, sacrifice, and devotion in Hindu mythology.