CHAPTER 4: A Desperate Gamble

Hiromi Moka and Hiromi Iroha grasped my shoulders tightly, excitement glimmering in their eyes. They showed me their phones, and there it was – my name, Kim Minju, displayed on their screens with the number 89 beside it. Relief washed over me as I realized I wasn't the lowest-ranked student in the Fame Game.

The sisters congratulated me, their voices filled with genuine relief. "You did it, Minju! You're not the lowest," Hiromi Moka exclaimed, her tone tinged with pride. "Gaining attention from the students is key to climbing up the ranks and staying safe."

Their words resonated with me, and I began to grasp the twisted logic of the game. To survive, I had to make myself known, capture the attention of my peers, and secure their votes. It seemed like fame and popularity were the keys to survival in this treacherous academy.

As we absorbed the implications of our rankings, a sudden outburst pierced through the tension-laden atmosphere. A voice, tainted with madness, echoed down the hallway. "Someone did not vote!"

A collective gasp escaped the students, panic spreading like wildfire. Eyes darted around, searching for the one who had neglected their duty in this deadly game. It was then that an unsettling realization dawned upon me – it was I who had failed to cast my vote.

My heart raced, and a sense of dread seized me. How could I have been so careless? The consequences of my oversight now loomed over me, threatening to unravel everything I had built. The safety and trust I had carefully cultivated with Hiromi Moka and Hiromi Iroha felt fragile, teetering on the edge.

The room fell into a stunned silence, broken only by whispers and the realization of the impending danger. Suspicion swirled in the air as accusing glances were cast in my direction. I felt a weight bearing down on me, a heavy burden that threatened to consume me whole.

Hiromi Moka and Hiromi Iroha locked eyes with me, their expressions shifting from warmth to a mix of concern and uncertainty. It was a test of trust, a moment that would determine the strength of our alliance. I had to prove myself, not just to them but also to the other students who now questioned my loyalty.

With determination burning in my veins, I took a deep breath and met their gaze. "I'm a transfer and forgot to ask , but I will make things right," I vowed, my voice steady despite the turmoil within.