Chapter 5 (I-Arc): Gemstone Getaway

We last read Chapter 4, in which Mavis Ladair a.k.a. Red Fang gets dressed for the night's Peace Jubilee and runs into her husband Garson on her way out. After they greet each other and have a conversation about various topics from Mavis's uptight and royal demeanor to the language-learning mobile applications "Duolingo" and "Drops", the couple depart Ladair Castle to attend the party.

Once there, Mavis and Garson sit next to Lily and Theo, where Lily updates Mavis and Garson on her "heroics" earlier that night.....with a stolen photography tripod among them. Mavis and Lily briefly come to blows over their differing methods on how to pursue "heroism", but the argument is defused by Garson's intervention and—to a lesser extent—that of Carla Rosenblood a.k.a. Nightclaw, who meets back up with the quartet and compliments the Enclave on its welcoming atmosphere.

The five of them—Garson, Mavis, Lily, Theo, and Carla—then quiet down alongside the rest of the congregation as Lord Balfort Ladair opens the event with a passionate speech about the Vermillion Enclave's new beginnings, while also doting on his daughter Mavis.....who also happens to be the next speaker after him. During her spiel, she is abruptly confronted by two heckling vampires in the crowd who deride her for supposedly speaking like an A.I. program, but Mavis not only thoroughly bests then without insults or violence, but successfully buries the hatchet with them following a friendly conversation after the presentation.

This time, Garson, Mavis, Lily, and Theo bid farewell to Carla Rosenblood a.k.a. Nightclaw for the time being, and the vampires' precious Bloodstone goes missing under incredibly strange circumstances.....

***********************************************************************************************

-Vermillion Enclave Front Gates, Vermillion Enclave, Transylvania-

After the Peace Jubilee had concluded and the entirety of the central square had been cleaned up, only Garson, Mavis, Lily, and Theo were left, with Carla preparing to depart the Vermillion Enclave following her visit.

"Sorry you have to go so soon, dude....." Theo said. "Your werewolf form would've made for some uber cool music album covers!"

Carla laughed. "I bet it would've. Don't worry, though; I'll be based in Darkveil if you four need anything else from me. You and Lily.....feel free to reach out."

Lily nodded. "Definitely!"

Mavis approached Carla, her hands clasped courteously and a warm smile present on her face.

"Carla Rosenblood," she began. "It has been an immense pleasure having you join us tonight. We have not adventured together yet, but Lily and Theo have, and from what they tell me.....you certainly present as being worthy of the 'Paragon' title."

Carla chuckled nervously. "Ahhh....hahahaha! Yes! 'Worthy'! For sure!"

They can't know about my sadistic side..... she reminded herself internally. They'd never forgive me if they saw.....

"You are welcome back in the Enclave any time," Mavis continued, before whispering the next part such that only Carla could hear. "Please.....come back soon. I need you to keep Lily and Theo off my back."

Both girls snickered momentarily at the Crown Princess's remark, much to Garson, Lily, and Theo's confusion since they couldn't hear it.

"Ever since Lily and Theo told me about your kingdom in the past.....I've wanted to meet you for so long!" Carla exclaimed. "It's like crossing paths with The Viper all over again! .....No one will ever surpass her, though. That analogy wasn't for The Viper. I will literally sacrifice my life for The Viper."