COMPETITION

Everything went perfectly, and I got lucky as the school held some food and spice tolerance competitions today

Everything went perfectly, and I got lucky as the school held some food and spice tolerance competitions today. It was just what I craved. The pani puri and those spicy wafers were top-tier.

My craving grew stronger as I savoured them, without even realizing I was continuously winning.

As much as I love sweets, as a Maharashtrian, I can never not love spice.

Every competition enhanced the spice flavour with different foods like bhel, different spicy wafers, chilli tomato rolls, and pani puri, and it all came down to the spiciest chips and pani puri with actual chilli water.

The host announced the last competitors: me, Evyaan, and the other guy, Rohan.

The idea of competing again with Evyaan sent a bad signal to my stomach.

No matter how much I try to avoid him, it always comes down to him in the end. My team, on the other hand, was very much expecting me to win.

The idea of being disturbed again just because of Evyaan and those rumors made me uncomfortable.

Our eyes met when I walked towards the main table, and if I could read eyes, all I saw was disappointment. His team suddenly reached for the host, who contemplated for a while before finalizing it to only me and Rohan.

The relief washed over me with not being associated with Evyaan with a stinging pain for the same reason.

The more distance I kept from Evyaan, the quieter the rumours became, and that was what I needed.

The last thing I wanted was more gossip about how he was 'pity helping' me or how I was trying to get his attention by acting clueless. But avoiding him always left this uncomfortable feeling, like something unfinished, something that could easily turn into something more if I let it.

I took a deep breath, trying to calm my racing thoughts. I didn't want to admit it, but the more I kept my distance, the more I knew I'd be lying to myself if I said I wouldn't eventually start having feelings for him. And that was something I couldn't afford.

Not now, not ever.

"Sir, Evyaan is joining too. He's ready," a student interrupted just as we were about to start. A wave of surprise and annoyance hit me. Hadn't he just backed out? I sighed, accepting the reality of him joining again.

The host nodded, looking confused, and went to discuss the sudden entry with the school faculty. Evyaan took his place beside me, putting me in the center of an unexpected and tense situation. I bit my cheeks, trying to ignore the anxiety bubbling inside me.

"Are you sure you can join us? You won't get acidity after this?" Rohan asked, despite having just gulped down a gallon of water himself.

"I'll be fine," Evyaan replied calmly, ignoring the taunt. Soon, the host returned, and we began the competition.