19. Glitch

I'm in front of the large door. The hallway I'm in is dark and there's no one around. Gentle piano sound comes from behind the closed door.

I grasp the golden door handle and push it down.

Opening the door, I come into an empty theater. There's someone on the stage which is the only lit-up place in the dark room.

A total of three pianos are scattered all over the stage yet the person is playing the black one before he shifts to the white. A faint sound of ticking is heard in between the musical notes and I notice scattered clocks and a metronome on the white piano.

I slowly walk down the carpeted path between the seats, mesmerized by the music and passionate playing. But I halt once the person stands up from the bench of a white piano and starts wildly slamming the piano keys, even using his feet to stomp onto the large instrument. 

I flinch at the sudden change of the atmosphere - captivating passionate music turns wild and angry.

There're several beeping sounds and suddenly, the pianos catch fire. The man in a black shirt approaches the front of the stage and bows elegantly.

Taken by the music, I start clapping loudly, my applause echoing through the room and overpowering the cracking of the wood on fire.

The man raises his head. We're several feet away but I can feel the chill of his piercing blue eyes and raised slit eyebrow.

"What?"

My hands stop mid-clap and my eyes grow wide.

A mask. His blue eyes and black hair. Leather vest over the tight shirt. White pants with dozens of pockets.

My throat dries and every memory floods my mind.

"Chan..."

It is as if he recognizes me that his eyes soften and he pulls down the mask covering his mouth and nose.

Bang Chan smiles and hops off the stage.

"Oh, if it isn't our VR princess?" he chuckles but my heart is in my throat and cold sweat damps the shirt on my back. "You finally made it here."

My eyes dart between his and I feel my face going pale. "What...? What do you mean?"

"I'll explain everything later. It's time to go."

My hands are shaking but I manage to clutch my fists, nervousness and fear getting converted into sheer anger.

"Go where?! What is going on?! Don't touch me!"

I step back and away from his reaching hand, my chest rising and falling rapidly.

"Princess, we don't have time. This world will collapse any minute."

"What are you talking about?!"

Bang Chan sighs, hands on his hips, and shakes his head before looking back into my shaky eyes.

"You had fun with the boys in your different VR scenarios, right?" he asks but I stay silent. My throat works a hard swallow and he notices that being a reply to his question. "Well, the party is over and we must go. Your father is after you."

Another hit of shock makes me stumble back. "My... my dad?"

Chan nods, the fire from the pianos spreading to the wooden stage floor.

"Babe, I'm sorry to say but... he's going to kill you... and we must get out of here before you die."

I shake my head in disbelief, stepping back again. "No..." I let out a trembling breath.