Chapter 7: Busted

War's POV

"So to be clear, War ran away from home, claimed to be homeless in our house because he was overwhelmed with your affection?" Mrs. Wong asks while laughing so hard she’s practically in tears.

Everyone is laughing, clutching their stomachs, except for me and Yin, who looks like he’s having... a stroke?!?

"Such a coincidence, I can't believe the son we have been planning to marry off to you has been living with you all this time," Alex says, continuing to laugh until she chokes on her own saliva.

Serves you right, 'MOTHER!'

Everyone rushes to her aid, giving her water, rubbing her back, blah blah blah, until she stops coughing.

As the laughter finally subsides, Mr. Wong clears his throat. "So everything is clear now, right? We know War is not homeless and coincidentally your son who is to be married to ours. And it's good that he has been with us all this time as we are now very sure that we want him as our Yin's life partner. They are perfect for each other and get along well."

Uhh, no, we don't.

"Yeah, fate is such a crazy thing, right?" Emily chimes in. "Well, now we can decide the engagement and wedding date. Since the children already know each other, there's no need to give them time to explore, right?"

"How about next month? The sooner, the better," Mrs. Wong suggests.

Everyone nods in agreement.

"Well, it's decided then, let's—"

"I'm sorry to interrupt, Father, but I'm not getting married to Yin." I say holding my head up high.

The gasps.

The shocked faces.

Why is everyone acting like I just admitted to being a serial killer?

I glance at Yin, silently begging for help, but he’s still frozen in the same position he was when everything became clear.

Has he even blinked? Is he breathing?

Oh well...

Now's not the time to be worrying about him.

I stand up and slam my hands on the table, gaining even more gasps from everyone.

Apparently, I watched too many dramas where this move always commands respect, but judging by their reactions, I might have been a little too dramatic.

I laugh nervously while scratching my non-itchy scalp.

"Uhmm... sorry about that!" I say, awkwardly wiping the table with my hands as if that’s going to help.

"What I wanted to say is uhh..I can't get married to Yin because... well... I'm allergic to weddings"

Well sue me, but that's the only excuse I can think of.

"Allergic to weddings?" Yin's dad echoes, clearly bewildered.

"Yes! The flowers, the cake, the vows. I break out in hives just thinking about it!" I continue, my mind racing for a better explanation.

"Plus, I have this... condition. It’s called... Marriageophobia. It’s very serious."

Yin’s mom looks skeptical. "Marriageophobia? I never heard of that"

"It’s a real thing!" I insist, trying to sound convincing. "I read about it on... Wikipedia."

"War, you can’t be serious,"Emily says, looking exasperated.