Chapter 43 - Powder-Keg

<Sc'the>

Surprisingly enough, the next two weeks passed through rather quickly. I wasn't able to sleep at all, and that actually started to take a toll on Pops since he was training me pretty much throughout the entire night, then doing his thing with the meat below, and then having to go to the guild to work.

He said it was fine: that he "could handle it" and has "fought worse before for longer," but I still refused to train and practically forced him to take the day off. He couldn't do anything if I didn't want to train, and he didn't have anything to do in the guild now that it was the last four day weekend of my training, but he was still adamant about going about his normal morning routine of making breakfast just before Red woke up, then checking on the meat, then coming up to watch her train for a little while. 

After she left saying she had something to do with Freija and Wreign in the second District's Commerce Area, he went over to the living area and promptly crashed on the couch nearest the hallway. I checked to make sure he hadn't somehow died, but he had a pulse and was breathing so I guess maybe two weeks of pure mental work took it's toll on the guy: its just different having to work constantly, without rest, in a bored setting compared to needing to stay awake or dying in battle...

Oh, yeah that reminds me, he got me these awesome metal sheathes for my claws and tail blade! It was an Onyx black material that I wasn't sure was actually metal, but I was still able to cut things, and rip other apart--although it took a little more work--and they not only didn't come off when I didn't want them to, but they also were able to become invisible along with the rest of me!!

It was strange: being so excited over something so small...then again, I hadn't been able to touch anyone other than through their clothing--and even then I had to be careful--for the three or so weeks I've started living as a dragon. He'd said that they were made with a resonance rune to match my aura or something, so that they would pretty much become a part of me rather than something separate and just an enchanted accessory like I thought they'd be. 

It took a few days, but eventually they were able to turn invisible, if only partially at first. Though he wasn't able to get anything made for my spines or horns, since apparently those were 'too complicated for something to adapt to'...Enough reminiscing. I needed to go and see what I had to do for the day: it was a sort of list Pops had made for me in the Training Area, just a small list I could check things off of for when I cleared a level or reached a certain mile-stone in my training. 

I wanted to prove that I didn't need to be watched all of the time to do what I had to, and that I wanted to get stronger on my own. Separate of what he was expecting me to do--There was a small rolling sound coming from above--

A giant explosion rocked the entire area around me, it felt like those enchanted furnace-cubes had all had a melt-down and decided they didn't want to exist anymore. The series of explosions destroyed the entirety of the main floor, the area where Pop's had been knocked out on a couch at. 

I took a moment to gather myself, what was happening? Were we being attacked? Have I been found by someone or something else? I immediately started to look around the wreckage in the area Pops had been for a body, or something, and I don't know if I was expecting to find another body, but I was definitely not expecting someone to pat my head gently. I whirled on whatever it was that snuck up on me, my claws and tail-blade immediately aiming to strike at any exposed point I'd grown used to targeting. 

They were all blocked by something and I found myself picked up, "Calm down Sc'the. Calm down, I'm fine." It was Pops, he'd escaped that huge explosion? "Damn. I was really hoping the Powder Skulls wouldn't decide to attack me this time, but seeing how rough of a week it's been...I can see why they capitalized on this moment." It was surprisingly calming being pet like he was, I had scales, and I was sure that they were all as sharp as everything else on me, but he didn't even seem fazed by them as he dragged his hand gently down my head and neck.