wake up

I wake up the next morning and look at my phone.

~ 3 missed calls, dad

~ 5 missed calls, Carrie

"Oh Jesus Christ"

I climb out of bed, trying not to wake Julie, and walk to the hallway, ringing my dad back. "Dad, what happened? Why is everyone ringing me so much?" across the phone. I can hear Carrie screaming. "Camilla, have you seen her carry a dirty candy jacket? She can't find it," I sigh. "I haven't been home, dad," even across the phone. I can hear him roll his eyes and say, "Oh, im fine by the way, thanks for asking." Dad pulls the phone away from his ear and yells something to Carrie, "Listen, Camilla, when are you coming home? Next, your room is..." I hung up.

I take a deep breath and go back into Julie's room. She's awake now. "Okay, Jules we need to get up; we are going to miss the bus," I laugh. She smiles at me. "My dads going to drive us today." I lay down. "Perfect so I can go back to sleep," she laughs, pushing me off the bed.

We get up and dressed; she helps me decide on an outfit, and I help her do our hair. This is how our mornings normally go when I stay around. We head down the stairs and to the kitchen for breakfast. Her dad gives us each a waffle, and then Julie heads out to the studio. I follow after her, checking my phone on the way.

~ 3 missed calls from dad ~

4 messages from dad

~ Don't hang up on me.

~ I want you home tonight.

~ Camilla Wilson You will respond to me.

~ CAMILLA ~

I ignore the messages. Putting my phone in my bag, I head into the studio, and Julie is sitting on the piano bench, looking at the song her mom had written. I choose not to say anything and sit on the couch. I looked around the studio for any sign of the guys, but there was none; me and Julie were alone. I watched her lift the piano and trace her fingers lightly across the keys before she started playing. I watched intensely as she hit each note perfectly.

Here's the one thing I want you to know:
You have someplace to go.

I smiled at her as she sang each note immaculately, the lyrics flowing through her like a river. I walked over, looking at the sheet music and joining in.

Life's a test, yes.
But you go toe to toe.
You don't give up; you grow.

She smiles as we continue duetting.

And you use your pain because it makes you you.
Though I wish I could hold you through it,
I know it's not the same.
You got livin' to do, and I just want you to do it, so
get up, get out, and relight that spark.
You know the rest by heart.

She smiles as she keeps hitting the keys, smiling at the sky as she sings the chorus. I step back, watching her as she relaxes into the music. It makes me happy to know she has found her joy again. I look down at my phone.

~ 4 new messages from Carrie ~

When I look back at Julie, I see the boys standing behind her, completely compelled by the music. I smile at them but shake my head, trying to send them away before Julie notices.

So wake that spirit,
I wanna hear it hear it
No need to fear it; you're not alone.
You're going to find your way home.
Wake up, if it's all you do.
Look out, look inside of you.
It's not what you lost.
It's what you'll gain.
Raising your voice to the rain, wake
up your dream, and make it true. Look out, look inside of you.
When you're feeling lost,
Relight that spark.
Time to come out of the dark
Wake up
Wake up

Julie picks up the sheet music and holds it to her chest. A stray tear falls over her cheek. I rush over to hug her and signal for Luke and the boys to leave, and they do. With a flash of light, the boys are gone, leaving just me and Julie in the studio. I pull Julie into a hug. "She would be so proud of you, Julie," she laughs. We continue hugging when the door opens again and Flynn charges in. I jump up to give her a hug and yell "FLYNN." She holds her hand up.

"Nu, uh." I laugh and step back, sitting on the couch and watching as Flynn talks about Julie leaving the music programme and how she's going to die alone. As she continues to rant, I look down at my phone, feeling it bust in my pocket.

~6 new messages from Carrie ~

~ 2 messages from dad~

~4 missed calls ~

I sigh and look at my messages from Carrie.

carrie:

Dad is not happy with you.

Camilla, come on, talk to me.

- cami?

Do you know where my jacket is?

I know you know!

Tell me where it is, Cami!

cami:

I don't know where your stupid jacket is, Carrie. I haven't been home, remember?

I sigh, putting my phone back in my pocket, when Flynn yells, holding her head, "Do you have any soda? My head hurts." I laugh, looking at Julie. "Are you done?" she laughs, and Flynn nods. I pull out a water bottle and walk over, giving it to her. "I just sang and played piano again," Julie says quickly. Flynn spits her water on the floor. "YOU WHAT! Why did you just say so?" I laugh. "She tried, then your seven sodas kicked in," I say sarcastically. Flynn pulls me and Julie into a hug. "I'm so happy for you! ....AND US!" Julie laughs, and me and Flynn hug properly.

*honk honk*

outside Julie's dad honks his horn, "Come on girls!" We laugh as we gather our things and head out to the car. As we walk out, I spot Luke, Reggie, and Alex sitting outside the door and smiling. "Oh, hey," Julie says, and I stare at her. Flynn turns around, looking at her strangely. "Let's get going," I say, pushing Julie forward. I wave at the boys, and as I do, Flynn turns around to look at us. I play it by pretending to swat away a fly and laughing while running up the stairs to the front of the house. From behind me, I hear "don't worry, we weren't listening" from Reggie, then Luke swiftly kicks his side.

"OW"

I laugh getting into Julie's car, and as I do, I lock eyes with Luke and smile.