Chapter Eight: "Friends"

Lavi

  I felt her eyes on me.

  Mari Woods.

  My old primary school teacher.

  She was more or less a odd-ball who stayed inside most of the time. Though, whenever she left the house, it would be for research and new ideas for her paintings. A complete shut-in who gained pleasure from poking at my very existence. She came into view while I sat on the sofa in the living room, switching channels on the black widescreen T.V. in front of me.

  "How was school?" She asked.

  I looked up at her, a bit shocked, "Wow, that's a normal question for once."

  She flipped out her notepad, jotting down something with her silver pen. I smiled sluggishly, "Now, that's the Mari I know and love."

  Weirdo.

  I settled on a show featuring several celebrities competing in an obstacle course. It was called "Tap Out", a reality game where we would see the competitive side of the celebrities we loved and hated--seeing who would come out on top or tap out. Mari crashed beside me, entering my bubble of privacy and disrupting my view of Mila Kunis, "You didn't answer my question."

  I slid away, but she kept pursuit, moving much closer. I sighed, "It's school, Mari. Just boring lessons, teenage kids being complete asses to teachers, and useless rules no one listens to."

  "Surely that's not the only thing that had happened today." Mari tapped against the band-aid on my swollen cheek. "What happened here?"

  "A dog beat me up."

  She suddenly burst out in laughter. I cringed away, baffled by the energy behind her laughter. She was nearly brought to tears, "It's not like you to tell funny jokes like that!"

  My shoulders slumped, "It wasn't exactly a joke, Mari."

  She patted my head gently, her pink lips shaping into a beautiful smile, "Well, whatever happened, please be safe next time. I wouldn't forgive myself if I couldn't be a caring guardian and tell you what you needed to watch out for."

  "Yeah, yeah." I pulled her hand away, grinning. "I will be more careful."

  Her eyes grew stern, "Don't make me worry, Lavi."

  I nodded and returned my gaze to the T.V.. There were times when Mari would be not so much a odd-ball and actually acted like a actual adult. I loved that about her. Despite her odd attitude, she had a sincere and stern side to her--that of a mother.

  I smiled, a mother, huh?

  "Oh, yeah. You never really explained why you write about me."

  "The same question again? That's for me to know and for you to find out on your own."

  "Still..." 

  "Lavi."

  I turned to Mari and she created some space between us. The orange sun from outside beamed onto her face, revealing her midnight irises. Her silky, jet black hair dropped down one side, passing her right shoulder and falling over her chest. She presented a letter to me with a curious smile, "I wonder who it could be from..."

  I grabbed the letter, "There's no name on it? I rarely get any mail."

  Mari sat crisscrossed on the sofa, patiently waiting for me to open the letter. I sighed and nervously opened the letter, my heart was unsure whether to be excited or depressed. I knew what to feel as soon as I read the letter inside.