Chapter Two: Talent

Flo

  Talent can take shape in many forms. Whether it's physical ability such as speed, or something mentally sinister such as plotting to overthrow a government with strategic excellence. Everyone more or less had talent. I grew up in a solemn household where rules were absolute and punishments meant brutality. My life had never been average, always strict and dull. Freedom was always a foreign land, far away from my reach. After junior high, something happened to me. I was exposed to the outside world.

  I met Lavi Garner.

  He was a tender-headed guy from just looks, modest by words, and purely unique. His short, chocolate dipped hair, misty teal irises, and olive skin matched his strong, tall appearance all so well. He seemed normal, but my instincts always told me he was different from others. He was something like me. A talent separates you from others, but he didn't need any talent to survive in this world.

  The world desired him.

  I buried my face into my warm, cupped hands--yawning for the third time. I decided to sit up straight, relaxing my bottom on the cushioned dark seat in front of the grand piano before me.

  I've been practicing all night. There was a piano competition coming soon in late April, at the peak of spring. My parents have been pushing me to practice, likewise my strict teacher, Eric Lloyd. A prodigy of his time. He wished to build me into one.

  I personally never hated playing the piano, but I lacked something every musician should have. I lacked the devotion to play for something. I played for no one, not even myself. I just do it to do it, nothing more and nothing less.

  Still...music decides for me...

  I felt heavy bags underneath my eyes. My hands hovered over the white and black keys, but slowly I felt my concentration fading. I retreated away from the piano, sighing and raising up from my seat. I managed to carry myself over to the window behind my piano and I stared up at the night sky.

  The stars were so beautiful. Whether spaced or close together, they shone brightly--almost like those with talents. So bright amidst the darkness, but Lavi was different. His light was more noticeable. He was like the moon at night and the sun during the day, standing out despite not relying on any talent at all. A being among Earth that was separated from others.

  I'm in love with Lavi Garner out of curiosity. The strange guy I met after junior high. I literally feel like I'm obsessed over him. I don't know much about him, but I wanted to know. He left two years back, returning back to his hometown with his parents. I wondered if he will come to Citadel. I frowned and remembered the empty seat next to me in my physics class.

  It would be perfect for just him.

  If only he would appear again.

Lavi

  I saved her.

  Even though I did I really didn't know what it fully meant. I managed to save someone with my power that couldn't stop my parents from their inevitable end. Though, what was the difference? I could have saved anyone else too...even the driver.

  Does this change reality?

  Was it smart to save her?

  No, I couldn't have just let her die. That would have been horrible.