Chapter One: The New Guy In Town

Lavi

  It's been five months.

  Five months since I last talked with my parents face-to-face. I lived on my own now, well--not exactly. My old primary teacher, Mari Woods, lived with me. She's the peculiar-type. I would sometimes find her scribbling notes on her little notepad and out of curiosity I always asked her what she was writing. The answer was always the same.

  I'm writing about you.

  I always found that odd. It was as if she was observing me 24/7. Well, even if she did, she wouldn't be able to observe my power. The ability to turn back time at will. A gift that could also be a curse to me. I remember exactly when I found out about it.

  The moment when my mother pushed me onto the pavement beside the road and was rolled over by a bright red truck. At that moment, even though her life ended, my life flashed before my eyes. I shouted at the top of my lungs, wildly swinging my arms, until time bled from my agony. My heart became tight in my chest and I felt my body sizzle in disbelief. The oddly formed scenery on the road shifted presence and a golden light came over my world--returning me back to my home before the accident. 

  It was then I decided to save my mother and my father who had died shortly after her from being ill. I didn't understand the magnitude of my power or its' origins, but I knew I had a chance to do something. For two years, I saved them 508 times apiece and death still lingered in their shadow. The deaths almost seemed surreal, as if the world was against them living. At that time, I realized the true face of reality.

  The philosophical end that is inescapable.

  People are just born to die.

  It was spring now. Winter was fading away and the beautiful nature was starting to poke its' head out again. Casually, I pedaled down the busy, early morning main road, heading towards Citadel High. It was more or less located near the heart of Citadel, a huge city booming with activity and flourishing businesses.

  This was the city Mari dragged me to and already I'm starting to dislike it. It's way too crowded sometimes, people have no common sense when out in public, and everyone is so monotonous in the morning. It certainly made me bored. For once, I wished something exciting would happen. 

  I sighed briefly and came to a halt soon. I leaned my blue steed against the bricked side of the coffee and breakfast shop known as "Black Aroma". The establishment's vibrant sign above the coffee shop blinked in various colors and people casually entered and exited and headed off into the sleepy morning.

  Yawning, I carried myself up the stone steps in front of Black Aroma and entered from the glassed double door. A familiar smell invaded my nose, captivating my attention.

  It smelled like home.

  A entrancing smell of fresh furniture and morning eggs. Scurrying over to the cash register, the woman behind the counter gave a warm smile, "Welcome to Black Aroma. What would you like today, sir?"

  I scanned the black and red plated menu above her on the wall. My eyes stopped upon the Frappuccino section and I could feel myself glow up after seeing my favorite.

  A S'mores Frappuccino.

  I could already taste the soft, cloudy whip cream in my mouth and the gooey milk chocolate resting patiently at the bottom. My taste buds became unexpectedly excited. I ordered it right away and soon left the fine establishment filled with morning people, fresh utensils, roasted coffee beans, and the warm welcoming atmosphere it presented.