Chapter Three: Old Friend

Flo

  A bewildered crowd was positioned just outside of Mr. Owens' classroom. Students huddled together, whispering and rumbling about something I knew nothing about. Curious, I walked over to them. As I came closer, the muffled and whispering voices became clearer.

  That's the guy isn't it? The guy that kissed Clarissa?

  Who is he? Clarissa's boyfriend?

  He's kind of a bad-ass. Dude has serious balls kissing the pres on his first day!

  I thought Clarissa kissed him...at least that's what I heard.

  What's there to be excited over people? This is none of our business.

  "Clarissa's...boyfriend?" I said in a hushed tone.

  I approached the outskirts of the crowd, sighing to the fact that I would have to fight through to get inside the classroom. "Okay, okay! Clear out everyone! Go to your classes!"

  The tall man standing at the mouth of the classroom's door waved his hands dismissively until the crowd obeyed his command. Slowly, the crowd of students dispersed and go separate ways until a path was open for me. I walked up to the man, "Mr. Owens...what's going on?"

  "We have a new student. Apparently, he's well known already for some odd reason. I just don't know what to do with you kids." He sighed, rubbing the side of his sturdy face.

  He stepped aside to allow me in the room and I scanned the classroom. All of sudden, a gentle wind passed me, coming through the window on the other side of the room and instantly I could smell spring and the infinite wonders it brings.

  My coffee-colored hair cascaded past my shoulders, but became a useless mess once the wind played with it. I pulled a wisp of it away from my sight, but as I stared forward, I couldn't take my eyes away from what I saw. The view I witnessed was like a dream.

  Am I dreaming?

  Is this really happening?

  The guy that was always strange to me. He sat beside my desk, his chin resting in his cupped hand with his elbow pressed against his desk. The same chocolate dipped hair, misty teal eyes, and olive skin. His hair fluttered gently, raising and falling as if it were alive. His eyes slanted over at me and almost immediately they grew wider. He stood silently, but eventually mumbled, "Flo?"

  My body grew hot.

  So hot.

  He remembered my name after two years. I clenched my teeth, shutting my eyes to hold back my tears. It was useless. Opening my eyes, tears rolled out immediately. I smiled as bright as I could at him. Even though I was crying and everyone inside the classroom had eyes on me--it only felt like Lavi and I were the only ones present. The boy I fell strangely in love with is back in my life.

  "It's been a long time, Lavi."

Lavi 

  I was so glad to see Flo. The girl I met two years ago and thinking back on it, our meeting was strange in fact. She was playing the piano at that time too. We lived next to each other, but never had we sat down and talked like normal people. Through music and letters, our conversations and emotions exchanged.

  I opened my window one summer night. I remembered my blood was boiling that night. I was angry that we moved to such an urban, small town. The cool, summer air at night invaded my room and slowly I started to relax.

  That's when I heard it. I heard a soft, melancholy tune vibrating over into my room. Curious, I peeked outside and realized the music came from next door. I saw a beautiful brunette gently touching the black and white keys of a piano from afar.

  "Who is she?"

  The piece started off soft and a bit mischievous like a child meddling in the kitchen and searching for snacks. It was entrancing honestly, to the point that I rested my head near my window and listened intently. It almost felt as if I were in the same room.

  Slowly, I raised my head and I saw a illusion. The notes, the way she played, and her beautiful figure changed my surroundings. I felt as if I were floating above an endless body of water and playful blossoms invaded my space--surrounding me. The cloudless azure sky above looked so vast at that time. Whether my illusion was a dream or not, her music opened up a new world to me.

  One where dreams and reality shared the same ground.

  I woke the next day, laying beside my window. My morning went by fast, but during it I couldn't stop thinking about the girl next door. I asked my parents if they've met the neighbors, but they were rather poor on answering. They knew nothing about them and the local neighbors never communicated with them. Though, they have said the owners of the household were very strict and they had a daughter who played the piano and was home schooled.

  I felt sorry for the girl.

  The afternoon of that day flew by and soon night came again. I waited for her to play again and once she did, I made my move. I had created a paper airplane and planned to throw it over into her room. I more or less practiced, which was silly of me, but this meant a lot. I wanted to know more about her. I wanted to know more about the girl who brought together realities and dreams.

  I want to know more.

  When night came, I sent my paper airplane flying between our houses, watching it twist by the currents in the air, but soon it reached her room. Alarmed, she watched the paper airplane land on her piano and eventually grabbed it, studying the handmade object. I smirked and soon she raised up from her piano and looked at me, a warm smile on her face. Suddenly, she disappeared, soon coming back with a white board. Red words were written on the board.

  Flo Erwin

  She answered my question along my paper airplane. I grinned and she did the same while returning to her piano. After a small pause, her music consumed me again. I felt completely at ease when she played. The little town where we lived wasn't so bad after all, I guess. As long as I could hear her play, I could manage.

  The following day, I had mail. It was from her.

  Flo Erwin.

  As I stood outside in front of the mailbox, I opened the sealed message within the box. Her words weren't long or unsatisfying. I read the sentence over and over in my head. Smiling to myself, I looked at her house from my mailbox, wondering how close we could become.

  Flo Erwin was special. She was naturally talented and it opened up a world of her own. Once more, I read the words in my head.

  Will you be...my friend?

~The picture above is Flo Erwin, our pianist brunette.

  Music: Oskar Schuster - Matilda

  Comment, Vote, Follow, Etc~