Chapter Fourteen: The Enemy

Lavi

  "Honey...?"

  Klein Garner. The man whom taught me how to become one--embracing your desires and paving a path to a flourishing life full of fun and youth. He was always the light-hearted father I've come to love more and more each and every day. The connection between father and son is really something special, you know...? I never believed he would ever leave me. I saw him as a invincible man ever since I was kid and he would portray himself as a hero and save me from the invisible baddies of our everyday heroes and villains scenarios.

  My father ruffles his wavy, jet black hair and the waves wash crisply down near his emerald eyes, "Yessss, honey?"

  The sing-song tune from my father's lips made my mother light up in comparison, "Your breakfast is ready."

  Rena Garner. The woman I loved for as long as I could remember. She was the definition of protection. She watched over me like a mother should and pushed me forward when I needed encouragement. Kissing my pains away on my body, preserving all my basic needs, managing my health--this woman raised me with care. How could you not feel sadness when your own mother dies in front of you...? To what end makes a human being not shed a tear for the ones that nurtured you into this world...?

  My mother place a steamy plate before my father, his eyes sparkling from seeing the rich, scrambled eggs and stacked pancakes of gooey syrup goodness. As always, he grab for the crisp, juicy bacon stack at the center of the table--my mother's specialty and munch on one, complimenting her with pure envy, "Your cooking is amazing as always, dear!"

  She flips her chocolate dipped hair that stops past her shoulders and her brown hazel eyes sparkle, "Thank you! Now, eat up my lovely honey-buns!" She grins and attends to the dishes.

  I sat across from dad, his back turned towards mom as she washed the dishes in a humming rhythm. It was just a casual morning, something I envy even if it was boring or plain. I cherished these moments because as many times I have saved them--I wasn't counting on the fact that I could save them forever...

  Dad looked at me, "What's up, squirt? Not hungry?"

  I smiled at the name he's always calling me, stabbing my pancakes with my fork, "I'm just thinking is all, pops..."

  Evenly, I slice through the gooey pancakes drowned in syrup and take a bite, measuring the sweet taste in my mouth. A deep whiff invaded my nose and I marvel at the smell of steamy breakfast. Mom glide over to me with a bright smile, "Aren't you excited about tomorrow? We finally get a chance to have family time again."

  "O-Oh, yeah...I'm looking forward to the hike..."

  They stared at me. At the time, I couldn't sort out my feelings. I was worried about the danger of nature on our hiking trip, basically going over the potential scenarios leading to their death. I didn't want to think that way, but when you tend to save them almost everyday--it becomes a habit. It was like a curse, unavoidable and growing stronger by the day.

  Dad ate two slices of pancakes before speaking, "Is something bothering you, son?"

  "Well..." I started hesitantly.

  I never told them of my power or even what happens to them. I didn't want to come out as some nutjob of a son who talks about death so easily. My parents were understanding, but this would be a whole new level of understanding. The brief silence stayed for a while, then my mother cut in, "I'm sorry, Lavi..."

  I looked up at her and froze, her eyes filled with tears, "Mom..."

  "I know you miss our relatives and it would have been great for them to come with us, but..." Her voice was shaky as she constantly wiped her tears.