Chapter Four: The Council

Clarissa

  I kissed him.

  The boy who had saved me, Lavi Garner. Why would I do it you might ask...well, I had no real reason, but something made me do it. A unexpected familiarity fell over me and the kiss seemed natural, as if we've done it plenty of times.

  He really was a hero at that moment, shining brightly from the morning sun. The strange boy I ran over with my bike turned out to be the one I was looking for. If what that man said was true, only he can help me get rid of my curse.

  "President?"

  I looked up at Mark, "Oh, sorry. What were you saying Mark?" I smiled apologetically.

  "What is Lavi to you?"

  I evaded eye contact, but I could just picture the smirk that was plastered on his face right now. My body started to grow hot like before...before I...kissed him. I lightly touched my lips and thought deeply about his own. They were full with experience and the way he ran his fingers through my hair and held my chin made me feel so protected. His words was so genuine and reliable and I nearly fainted on the spot.

  It's a good thing I pulled away and asked Mark to escort him to Mr. Owens and meet with me afterwards. I would have kept him close to me and kissed him much longer if we were somewhere else.

  Flustered, my brain started to steam, "L-Let's not talk about it right now!"

  "Whatever." Mark grinned.

  Without warning, Mark lay a black file before me on the long, meeting table situated at the student council's headquarters that was located on the senior hallway. My face became stony, I knew what this was about. I opened the file and flipped through the thin sheets with portraits of fellow students at Citadel High, their portraits marked in bold, red letters: Dismissed.

  "Ten left the council yesterday. At this pace...we will lose everyone." Mark explained shortly.

  "Any leads on the blackmailer?" I asked solemnly.

  "None. Their trail is cold as ever. There's no way we're gonna catch whoever this person is by normal means. We may need a better approach to this matter."

  I raised my hand, "Save this talk for when everyone is present." I gritted my teeth and glared at the file in disgust. "Seriously, what the hell is their motive?"

  "Excuse me, president, but one more thing." 

  I looked up at him again and realized his cold stare. Never have I seen Mark this way. He has always been with the flow and a cheery guy. To see him serious meant this mean so much to him. The council was something he respected and envied. All because we decided the fate of the students. Out of respect, I waited for him to speak, measuring his gaze carefully.

  He brought his gaze onto me, "I believe it's someone within our circle of trust."

  "Thanks for coming everyone. Now, let us discuss the matter before us. The school activities and order rests with us as the leading seniors of this year. I ask that you voice your opinions and do not hold back any thoughts regarding this matter. Give me your wisdom to where we can catch our enemy and return back what's right. If this problem isn't resolved, the student council may be done for." I announced, my gaze leveled and voice filled with tension.

  "Well." The platinum blonde sitting across from me brought together her hands while her elbows were pressed against the table. She looked like a natural model with her face fresh of wounds and hair extremely curly and messy, dropping to her back in frilly waves, "As the situation grows worse, I'm constantly bugged by this blackmailer. I'm under the suspicion that our blackmailer is a guy."