Chapter Twelve: The Forgotten Past

Lavi

  The night was young. Today was Monday, the first day of the week-long carnival event held in the downtown area of Citadel. The amount of people swarming in groups around the carnival was unreal. What really shocked me the most was how everything was so finely planned out to where people would actually come. The constant blinking from the various lights around me flashed over The Hub, stretching down the street it was on. I never expected myself doing something like this on my second week here. The events played out before me so far is really changing me...

  Clarissa twisted her body towards me, a daring smile on her face, "What's the matter?"

  "O-Oh...it's nothing. I'm just thinking is all..."

  "Right...You said that minutes ago, Lavi."

  I could hear the doubt in her voice. I ran my fingers through my hair and gazed at her, "Maybe it's the carnival...I'm not really suited for this kind of stuff."

  Her smile faded, "You should have told me..."

  I cracked a smile and filled the space between us, pulling her hair behind her ear, "Don't worry about me. You called on me...so, I'm here to help."

  "Listen, Lavi...I..." She looked up into my eyes, searching.

  Suddenly, a rumbling noise came from behind Clarissa and I. She broke away from me and unlatched the walkie-talkie that was attached to her black belt. Turning up the volume, Crane's voice was heard, "How is everyone doing? The Operations and Management room is running smoothly."

  Another voice came into the mix, "You guys should really check out the rides! It's so fun on this one where--"

  Crane boomed, "Mark! This is not the time for playing!"

  "Hey, hey, I know our situation. Lighten up, Cray-Cray." Mark sassed.

  "C-Cray-Cray...?!" Crane shrieked.

  "Seriously guys...?" Clair broke in.

  "Ya' know, you two would be a great couple." Jean burst into laughter after his words.

  Clarissa relaxed and brought the walkie-talkie near her mouth and pressed the button upon the top, "I'm glad you guys are having some kind of fun."

  Crane's voice was heard again, "On that note, I'm guessing everyone's area is pretty much clear."

  "More or less."

  "Everything's good over here with Clair and I."

  "I'm having a blast over here!"

  "Well then." Clarissa concluded. "Let's keep up the work and make sure everything stays smooth. Crane make sure to check with the electricity powering through some of the stages around here. Also, Mark can you check with our volunteers helping with the main stage over the river--I'm sure they would need some extra hands. Oh, and Clair and Jean--make sure traffic is going smoothly from the entrance and ask Crane's management team for tickets if you need more--"

  Clarissa continued to give orders over the walkie-talkie and while she did--my eyes wandered. The place was packed with people, aging from primary school kids to elders. There were four stages in different parts of the carnival. These stages held performers--music and comedy. The main stage stood over the river nearby the rides at the end of the carnival's road. The main event was to be held there soon. A group by the name of E.V.O. was going to be performing there. Apparently, they were pretty big here at Citadel, selling many albums and making contacts with people in the music industry. From what Clarissa and the others told me, they used to be students at Citadel High.