CHAPTER ~ 2

Author's POV.

As Kritika stepped out of the taxi and onto the familiar sidewalk, the weight of the day's struggles seemed to lift from her shoulders.

The night air was cool against her skin, which was a welcome respite from the stifling confines of her office.

With a weary sigh, she made her way up the steps to her apartment building, the click of her heels echoing in the quiet of the night.

Unlocking the door to her apartment, Kritika stepped inside and kicked off her shoes, the cool tiles soothing her tired feet.

The scent of home – a comforting blend of incense and cooking spices – enveloped her as she made her way to the living room, sinking into the familiar embrace of the worn-out sofa.

Just as she had began to relax into the soft cushions, her mother's voice cut through the silence like a knife, sharp with anger and frustration. Kritika's heart sank as she turned to face her mother, her eyes downcast with guilt.

"I know, I know, I'm late again," Kritika began, her voice tinged with exhaustion and apology. "I'm sorry, Maa, work was just... hectic today."

"Have you seen the time, it's 11:30, you cannot be so careless, Kritika!" Her mother scolded, "I was so tensed about you."

"Maa, relax," she held her mother's shoulder and made her sit down beside her, "I'm fine. I'm just—tired."

Her mother's expression softened slightly at the sight of her daughter's weary face, but the disappointment still lingered in her eyes. "Kritika, you know how important it is to be home on time. I worry about you, especially with everything that's been happening lately."

Kritika nodded, her shoulders slumping with the weight of her mother's words. She knew she had let her mother down once again, her dreams of success in the world of interior design seeming further and further out of reach with each passing day. Despite her best efforts, she was still stuck in a low-level position at the firm where she worked, struggling to make ends meet and prove herself in a world that seemed determined to keep her down.

"I'm hungry Maa, please serve the dinner for me, I'll just change and return back," Kritika said to which her mother nodded, "I was also waiting for you, go, change your clothes. We'll have the dinner together."

She moved towards her own room. She changed her clothes. Moving towards the dining hall, she took her place on the chair, beside her mother.

They ate the dinner silently, while watching TV. After dinner, Kritika reached her room, to take some sleep, but little did she knew her mother had different plans for her.

Her mother came inside the room, and sat beside her on the bed.

"What, Maa?" Kritika asked with a smile because she already knew what her mother was about to talk.

Marriage.

The least she wanted in her life right now was marriage.

"Beta," her mother forwarded Kritika a photograph, "my friend Sunaina, you remember?"

She nodded her head.

"It's his son, Ks—" before her mother could take his name, she cut her off, "Maa, you already know I do not want to marry now. I've to make a career for myself, first."

"I know beta, just listen to me na," her mother spoke, "He is a good man. His family is really very good. They will support you and also will never stop you from pursuing your career."

"No chance Maa, I've already told you that I don't want to get married. I will not." She denied directly.

Her mother gulped, placing the photo on the nightstand, finally giving up with her last words, "I'm keeping his photograph here. Maybe-" she didn't finish her sentence.

Before she could move out, Kritika asked her mother, "Did you take your medicines?"

Her mother shook her head, "These medicines aren't going to do anything to me, beta. I just wanted to see you, getting settled. Maybe that would heal me a little."

"Come-on Maa," Kritika stepped down from her bed, moving towards her mother's room and returning back again with a strip of tablet and water bottle in her hands, "Have it. No drama."

"I don't want to. Why should I listen to you, when you don't listen to me?" Her mother spoke.

Kritika took out a tablet from the strip and forwarded it towards her, "Have it. Right now."

"No, I'll not."

"What is this behaviour, Maa? How can you do this?"

"Because this is not the first time I'm asking you to get married. I've been asking you to get married from last six months. You know about my condition, Kri—"

"You'll get better Maa," Kritika spoke, "I'll make it sure."

Her mother shook her head, "I know I'm not going to get any better and I don't even know how much time I've left here on earth but I know it's not much, Kritika beta. Please, at least let me ensure that you'll be safe after my demise."

"Maaa," Kritika shouted, feeling her eyes a little wet, "Nothing's gonna happen you. No one can touch you. We're undergoing chemotherapy right? That will help, Maa, trust me."

"Is there someone else, I'm asking you again," her mother asked her to which she shook her head rapidly, "No Maa, you already know about everything. I've no one."

"Then what's the problem, beta?"

"Please say yes to this marriage, Beta. He is a good man. Atleast meet him once. Trust me, you'll not regret. He will listen to your every demand, he is a well raised up boy."

Kritika stood still.

"Despite of having his own family business, he started everything from the scratch because he didn't wanted people to say that it's all hereditary to him. He will keep you happy, Kritika."

"I don't even know him, Maa," she spoke.

"Then meet him. Talk with him. You'll get to know him eventually. You're a smart girl," her mother spoke, finally taking the tablet from her hand because she knew that she had succeeded in the job of getting her daughter ready for marriage.

"And what if I don't like him?" She asked.

"Then I'll not force you with him. I'll look for someone else, someone like your type."

"Fine, I'll meet him but only if you promise me that you'll never miss your chemo and have your medicines all on time?"

Her mother hugged her immediately, "I'll, beta. I will."

"When do I have to meet him?" Kritika asked.

"Are you free tomorrow? It's Sunday." Her mother asked.

Kritika pinched her brows together, "This soon?"

Her mother chuckled, "The sooner, the better."

"Fine, I'll meet him tomorrow."

Her mother grinned, "I'll tell Sunaina to visit tomorrow along with her family. She will be so happy to hear this."

Her jaw dropped, "Family? I thought we would be meeting alone."

"You're going to be lucky, if you like him, beta. His family is really very good. Remember, you met Vikram Gupta once?" Kritika nodded her head.

"He is his uncle, wasn't he sweet when he met you?" She asked.

Kritika nodded, "Yes, he was good with me."

Her mother placed her palm on her daughter's head, "I really hope you like him, Kritika. I really want you to go in that family because I know you'll always be kept happy there."

Kritika just nodded her head, because she knew this time her mother wasn't going to listen any of her excuses, after all it was about her bestfriend's son.

And for her mother's sake, she could do anything.