Chapter 25

ADEDAYO
                          ****************

         I see myself in a dark space….drifting. Reminds me of the trance I had in the Red Sand. Then, suddenly a cascade of violent experiences flood my mind. Images carrying malicious intent with reflections of monsters I don't even recognize from tales told to me. Through these experiences, my body doesn't stay mine for it becomes that of someone else who appears to be much older and bears Obatala’s Ashe.
                I find myself……well……this body traveling deeper into this dark forest-like scenery, engaging various creatures with each looking more malicious than the previous. And all these experiences phase through my mind in a flash until I transition into a spot feeling of various entities circling a dark figute covered from helm to toe with illuminating symbols all over him.

            Suddenly, I find myself fighting him with me getting battered as he bests me. My perception of this encounter then switches to the point I was finally defeated and tied down by this hooded being’s magic as his voice echoes in my mind. Cursing, mocking and goading me in an irregular pattern. Then all alternate forms of his voice fade as he drags my injured self close to himself. He then says
           “ Great Olu Awo Of OYO, you might rule the skies of Katunga. BUT HERE ……..is my domain and no one that walks it can best me.”

              I try to call out an incantation with the last of my will but he then pours out dark magic taking the form of two large hands and thrusts them into my mouth.
       “Hush now. Your words won't command here. Your powers hold no essence here.”

            With me choking, the hands he put in my mouth come out with a glowing light as he says.
         “ BY MY AUTHORITY, YOUR INCANTATIONS ARE FORBIDDEN. YOUR WORDS SHALL BE SILENCED AND BY MY HANDS WILL YOUR LIFE BE TAKEN.”

               Dropping me to the ground, I begin to panic as I try to say an incantation but to no avail. As I try to force out words, fear grips me all over and by how this body reacts to it, it's not a familiar sensation. My limbs give in to the chains of dark magic he uses and as he notices this. He laughs and takes off the hood covering his face to reveal his blackened face with illuminating tribal marks by each cheek and pupils that glow.
               He laughs as he says while looking down at me.
           “ YESSS….that's it. Cultivate that despair. For that's all you get.
No Orishas tó save you.
No hope to soothe
ONLY FEAR RESIDES HERE..”

             Then suddenly, I find myself back in the Olu Awo’s hut gasping for my life as Dada and Oriyomi turn their attention to me. Shocked by how I am hyperventilating, Dada rushes to my side.
              “ Are you okay, my prince?”

        I raise my hand in a way that implies I am okay as I try to calm my heartbeat but he and Oriyomi continue to pamper me with caring words and gestures with the Olu Awọ looking at me in a way that implies he knew what I saw.

       “ So that's what I am to face in Irúnmölé?” I ask him. He nods in response with the gesture meaning Yes and I start to feel dread."

          “ But that's suicide!!! There has to be another way at which I can prove I am not an Olossi, som other ritual.”

         He looks at me with little empathy and then goes to bring out a leopard skinned bag from a corner in the room. He gives it to me and gestures to Oriyomi that he conveys his thoughts to me.
           “ He says in that bag are totems and items you will need for your journey and unlike last time, he would prefer you actually make use of what he gives you. Especially since this is a life or death situation.”

       “ Situation that he put me in by the way Alakoba. O to kò ní sí wàhálà. Hope there isn't any agbo like the other one you gave me. I don't want it taking my life before the ghommids of Irúnmölé do.”

            Dada collects the bag from the Olu Awo as he says.
         “ If you wish my prince, you can take this quest with me by your side.”
             The Olu Awọ suddenly waves his hands in disapproval of the statement with Oriyomi saying.
            “ He insists that you go alone, even with the opinions of the Oríshas silent. Any that should wear the veiled crown, have to walk their quests alone.”

          Getting up to leave, I say to the Olu Awọ in the sarcastic tone I can conjure.
          “ Eshey Baba~Thank you Baba. I appreciate the bag and your effort in this matter.”

     As soon as I turn to head for the door, the Olu Awọ suddenly takes hold of my arm. With me and Dada startled by his action, he looks at Oriyomi to convey his message. The boy says to me.
         “ He says you saw……..HIM? He says that of all you will face in Irúnmölé. Never let it push you to the extent that you stray off the path he will assign and head to the west. Because of all you will see, that being there is way worse.”

       The Olu Awọ lets my arm go but I grab his and say to him.
         “ I saw what you are referring to and what he can do. But in the vision, who was he doing that to?”
       Removing my arm, he looks at me trying to design ignorance but just a hint of fear in his eyes give me my answer.
      With that bitter kola to swallow, me and Dada leave his home.