Chapter 31

VICE CHIEF PRIEST OLABODE
******************************

        On our way to the Osun river shrine, we notice apresence of three approaching our convoy. Normally I would prefer leaving the Akogun for my dwelling , but it is customary that anytime the Akogun return from a battle, the Olu Awọ will pray and sacrifice to the Oríshas for their sake , regardless of the battle's result. And since that old fool refuses to do his job, it's up to me as the vice chief priest to take on that responsibility.

        The presence I am referring to turns out to be the head of the Agbaje family and father of Agbábiàká, Ajagbe Edu Agbaje. He is escorted by two guards with both holding a spear while a red and black buba and sokoto with fila on his head while holding a decorated walking stick. 

He shares the same skin color with his son and despite how old age has made him assume a hunched position, he still holds a higher ground when it comes to height. His hair is all white and bushy and as all who have been the head of the Agbábiàká warrior family, he holds two milky blind eyes. It's a sacrifice every champion of the Agbaje family at a point in time had to make to utilize the abilities of a certain demon their family hoards. A demon that Agbábiàká apparently doesn't want to associate himself with.

       They get close enough to the convoy to the point where everyone is able to notice the hard gaze Ajagbe gives his son. Agbábiàká drops down from his donkey, bids us farewell and walks to meet his father. He prostrates before him, then gets up to still face that unwavering hard gaze his father has been wearing since he approached us. You would think he could actually see him with how fixated his gaze is. Ajagbe then turns to walk back to the direction he came from with Agbábiàká and the two guards following from behind.

                  From what that gaze tells, seems Agbábiàká will be hearing it from his father. Coming back to Katunga from a battle defeated, especially by Olossi, isn't tolerated by the Agbaje family especially if it's their champion. And him not wielding their ace element in battle will give way to more scrutiny from his family. KATUNGA might dread this loss but I'm loving it. All these stupid so-called champions will finally be getting some resentment and reprimanding ... .will love to see how my father reacts to this huge loss by the one he calls my better self. Seems I as well might have someone to mock when I meet Láaróyè for our recent meetings where he mocks Adedayo and I laugh at it. 

        With the Agbajes leaving us, the rest of us continue our approach to the river shrine, with Gbadamosi Setemi finally making a statement since he regained consciousness. Directing his question towards Soun Ògúnlolá, he says.

         “ I have heard of how severe the punishments for failure are in the Agbaje family. Given that this failure is mostly yours since you are the leader, you think they would pardon him Baba?”

   Surprised by how he addressed Soun Ògúnlolá, I throw a glance at the boy. Like the rumors say, he might be the youngest of the Akogun and in all of its members’ history but he's very foul mouthed and disrespectful. He's fair skinned with bushy hair and eyes that held the color of thunderstorms. He is also of a small stature with lean arms, legs and an oblong face. He wears white clothing like all Obatala worshippers do with cowries tied to them and his bushy hair with his Obatala Ashe mark at his right shoulder. 

Of all the Akogun members, he seems to be the least injured with only a few wounds on his body. Yet he stayed unconscious longer than the rest during their journey to the city. Well, he might be one of the strongest Obatala Ashe users that KATUNGA has ever seen but he's still a child.

          Ògúnlolá looks at him with scorn all over his face as he replies.

        “ Omo yii~This boy, the day I will flog you like the brat you are. What do you mean by that nonsense?”

            The boy looks back at Ògúnlolá with his hands spread as if he's dumbfounded by Ògúnlolá’s response.

    “ You are the leader of the Akogun. Every move we made at fighting the Olossi at Ilaro was by your command…….well msybe aside Jakuta. But the rest of us followed your every command and lost.”

    Upon hearing Setemi mention his name, Jakuta looks at him annoyed while Ògúnlolá points his finger at his boy as he protests at his statement. The bickering continues between the two with Ògúnlolá acting more like a child than the two with Setemi giving a proper counter to every point Ògúnlolá throws at him.

It begins to get heated with Ògúnlolá starting to imply that Setemi is being disrespectful……the go to maneuver when a Yoruba elderly starts to lose to a youngling….. while Setemi ignores it and still continues to hamper on the fact that Ògúnlolá leadership is why they lost. Then suddenly, Jakuta shouts with lightning emanating from his eyes.

                             “ SILENCE!!!”

With his outburst halting all of us as it stuns the donkeys, he then turns to face the argumentative duo and says

            “ Twice today, I have embarrassed myself. I have put my head to the ground because of the weakness i  displayed at that battlefield. I will not suffer another ridicule by seeing the man I give authority to on the battlefield, getting insulted by a fourteen year old!!”

          Ògúnlolá bows his head in embarrassment but Setemi only expresses a tone of non chalancy as he looks at Jakuta continue to speak. 

              “ It's OUR fault that we lost to those fiends at Ilaro. For that we should spend time reflecting on the fact that we failed the Oríshas and our people, not debating amongst ourselves.”

       “ WE CAME BACK WITH OUR SWORDS AND PRIDE BROKEN……BUT WE WILL RETURN TO THAT BATTLEFRONT AND WE WILL PREVAIL.”

“ So end this stupid argument and set your minds towards achieving that.” He says as he takes a look of disdain at both Ògúnlolá and Setemi and then turns to face his front.

        “ He was embarrassed twice?” Setemi whispers as he questions no one in particular. He receives no response for everyone else is also dumbfounded by the statement as well but a smile fills my face because of it.

       They didn't know that despite how charismatic and upholding their champion can be, he's so petty that the smallest of aid from his elder brother can hurt him more than a defeat in the hands of the Olossi. Well it benefits my ego so I'm pretty much enjoying it. Let me get done with this nonsense and go to gist Láaróyè.