Chaptet 9: Forest Magic

Sondra looked down from the upper balconies. The ballroom had a tall arched ceiling that welcomed in a lot of light, not to mention the glass doors and wall on the entrance.

She couldn't help but stare as she looked at the water fountain on the other side of the opened doors. It made her think of that first date with Ashton. She wondered if he'd gotten her letter, she did hope he would attend.

"Highness?" Maisey asked, she held up an envelope.

Sondra tore it open

Dearest Sondra,
I'm so pleased to hear about your sisters celebration. I've always felt like she's become a sister to me as well.
I regret to inform you that I am unable to attend, I don't try and hide anything from you, love. I do not have anything big going on to prevent me, my parents have a diplomatic matter to attend to and have asked me to stay with my sisters.
Ann and Ella wish you all the best,
And I send my sincerest regards my love,
Ashton of Oida

"He could have brought his sisters," Maisey said.

"Ella's not always in the traveling mood, plus it's the cold season and I don't wish to overwhelm them by dragging them here in their 10 feet of snow." Sondra smiled, she loved his words, she'd write him back as soon as she could, but for now she had to focus.

"Oh Joe?" She called down to one of the decorators, "I am really appreciative of you bringing in the shrubbery from outside but I did actually ask for just the roses!"

Maisey giggled as the princess got back to work.

As she directed everyone on how to decorate the ball she saw...Leo? She studied him outside the window. He was with a shorter woman, in a lavender dress, she had short wavy hair that complimented her face. Her skin was a soft tan and she looked kind.

Maybe she should ask if they'd help with Rosas birthdays. She waved her hand to get their attention but they turned towards the forest.

"Wait!" She tried to push through the hustle and bustle of decorations. When she stumbled to the door they had disappeared in the tree line of the forest.

She studied the trees where they disappeared and ran towards it. She saw footprints and followed. Maybe she shouldn't have? But she was curious and out this girl Victoria, and was she the reason her brother disappeared everyday?

She tripped and stumbled over the heavily wooded forest, the twigs and bushes were thick. She drew her sword and gently cut herself free. She found herself drawn to a clearing.

Sondra heard faint voices and decided to follow, she hoped it was Victoria and Leo. She followed the sound, it was a gentle female voice. She tried to move a bush from her way but as she stepped close the ground gave way to a small cliff.

She rolled in the dirt, wow today really wasn't her day, was it? She brushed herself off and pushed her hair back. She looked up seeing a very startled young woman about her own age.

The woman has a soft pink skin and an evergreen hair style. She wore bright colors that fit her forestry complexion.

"Oh, um, hi," Sondra winced suddenly embarrassed by her awkward entrance.

"Your highness!" The girl curtsied.

"No no, really that's okay, I'm just Sondra. You can call me Sonny," she stepped forward.

The girl looked startled by that, "Sonny...?" She asked looking up as she still curtsied.

"What are you doing out here in the forest anyway?" Sondra looked around, still trying to find Leo and what she assumed was Victoria.

"The forest is the best place to learn about magic." The woman spoke, "I'm Elora." She said kindly.

Sondra was struck by that word, she tightened her hand around her sword, "magic...?"

"There's a wise old woman out here, she teaches us all about magic." She told the princess.

"Does...Does Victoria come out here?" She asked.

"I don't know who else she teaches, but I wouldn't be surprised, she helps you learn of strong magic to protect yourself."

Sondra heard the bells chime at the castle, the ball was supposed to start soon.

"Will you attend the royal ball? Tonight for princess Rosalina's birthday? I would love to discuss this further."

Elora lit up, "I would be honored!!!"