Chapter 16: Water Lantern Festival (Part 3)

Sondra slipped the ring to Ashton. She couldn't give it to Garth, too obvious right?

While Ashton pulled Garth to give him the ring, Sonny finally was able to relax.

"Been a long day?" Rosalina teased her sister as they sat together on the royal blanket.

Sondra chuckled, "I guess you could say that."

Victoria and Leonardo joined them too. Looking happy and content.

That's when Sondra got a good look at Leonardo's finger, there was a ring on his too. Part of her felt anger, everyone knew it was her day to propose, why was everyone trying to take the happiness she had made for herself and Ashton? She had to remind herself that was short sighted. Her siblings deserved happiness, all she should be is grateful for that.

Ash gave Sonny the thumbs up when him and Garth returned. He sat beside her and pulled her close.

Garth did the same to Rosalina.

It was the first time the six of them were all together. Sondra felt happy that her siblings had all found someone. Was everything falling into place? Or falling apart? That she didn't know yet.

"Oh, what are those?" Ashton asked seeing Victoria running her fingers through her hair. If they were trying to conceal the rings they were doing a poor job of it.

Leo chuckled and smiled, "last night...we um."

"We got engaged!" Victoria announced showing them her ring. "Leonardo made these for us!"

And just like that Sondra knew there was no regaining any special one-of-a-kind day. She'd planned this for months and it was stolen from her. She smiled a forced smile. "How'd this happen?" She didn't dare ask, 'why now?' Or 'why couldn't I have my moment'? Why couldn't she ask those things, because this was the life of a middle child, being overlooked and overshadowed by those who didn't care for her feelings.

"Well we kinda got into a fight last night," Victoria admitted sheepishly.

"Oh?" Rosa asked, it looked like she was a bit perturbed by their inability to wait as well.

"I came over and Leo was crying. And he just-" Vic looked over to Leo.

"I mean I just grabbed the ring from my dresser. I had been meaning to propose before today anyway." Leo said awkwardly.

"Go on, any plans?" Garth asked.

"We want to get married in late Summer, we want to get married near where the forest meets the lake." Victoria went on.

"Just as the lilacs are to bloom, we want a green and purple wedding. Of course we'll ask everyone to refrain from wearing purple so I can wear it with my dress." Victoria gushed.

Sondra looked over at Ashton and mouthed an, 'I'm sorry.'

Ash smiled softly and pulled her into a tighter grasp, "nothing can ruin today. It's our day." He whispered and kissed her head.

Sondra smiled, honestly she didn't know how to do this without him. She wanted him to feel like the prince of the hour. Like nothing else mattered but them. But she also refused to ruin her siblings perfect night so, she held her tongue.

***

The night had begun to grow foggier and foggier. It was a shimmery blue color that seemed to reflect the clearness of the night sky. The sun was just about to sink below the horizon, that's when the festival would begin.

Children ran around with bioluminescent sticks, or sparklers to celebrate the light. No one set their lanterns on the water yet, but the glow of people holding them around the lake was unmistakeable.

Sondra smiled and held Ashton's hand tightly. Their time was coming, and soon it'd their turn.

King Timothy and Queen Juliana stepped to the front of the dock and the kingdom got quiet.

Sondra and Ashton watched as the her parents held the lantern high above their heads and slowly lowered it down into the water. The lantern was a few feet tall, it was decorated with golden detailing of the kingdom.

Ashton pulled out their lantern and smiled at Sondra.

She took it from his hands and began to decorate her side. Soon enough the lake was lit up with dreams and wishes in lantern form out on the water.

Sondra stood and grabbed Ashton's hand pulling him towards the waters edge. She handed it to Ash to set in the water.

He gently set it in the water and watched the beautiful lantern turn in the waves. He giggled lightly, it was a magical night, it was the first time he'd seen Emra's festival.

The light hit his face lighting it up as he turned around and saw something to make him blush. He couldn't hold back his smile.

Sondra was down on one knee.

Ashton immediately fell on his knees too and pulled out a similar ring.

Sondra smiled and wiped her eyes, she pulled Ashton into her arm and kissed him softly.

"Is that a yes?" She teased.

"Yes," Ash beamed. Nothing could ruin this moment. It was theirs and nothing else mattered.

When they finally pulled away from each other they glanced at Rosa and Garth. He was on one knee.

"Is this for real?" Rosa asked.

Garth laughed his loud laugh and nodded.

And with that all three of the royal children were engaged on the same night.