XIX

VOTE!

Khamoshiyan aakaash hai

Tum udne toh aao zara

Khamoshiyan ehsaas hai

Tumhe mehsoos hoti hai kya

Beqarar hain baat karne ko

Kehne do inko zara haa

---------------------------

Aradhana's POV

"Congratulations, ma'am," they said.

"Thank you," I replied with a nod, trying to smile, and walked past them.

As I entered the classroom, a chorus of hoots greeted me. "Look, the newlywed bride is here!" they jeered. Since morning, it's been a mix of congratulations, teasing, and knowing smiles.

"Shh, guys, please take your seats," I urged, scanning the room where some students were standing on benches also. Once everyone was seated, a semblance of silence fell over the class. With a sigh of relief, I began to take my books out of my bag.

"Come on, everyone, take out your books; we need to complete our syllabus," I said seriously, checking the notes for today's lecture. Some clicked their tongues, others sighed, and a few began to murmur among themselves. I chuckled, looking at them.

"Just a minute ago, you were all so excited, and now look at you," I remarked, amused, shaking my head at their reactions. For students, it seems everything is more interesting than studying.

I turned towards the board to write down the concept name I would teach them today. In my absence, a substitute teacher was appointed who conducted the class on my behalf, and we are on track. Everything is happening on time, but the syllabus is vast, so we need to maintain speed.

"Ma'am?" I heard a girl asking.

"Yes?" I inquired.

"Can we know the name of your husband?" I heard her ask.

"Yes, ma'am, please," more voices chimed in.

"Yes, please," and now everyone began to ask. I sighed and gave her a bored look. Who started this? Why is everyone so interested in my life?

"Bhagwan ji," I muttered.

"Enough, everyone. I believe my marriage is not a topic in your syllabus, nor will it appear on your exams," I said sternly, looking at everyone. Then, the whole class fell silent.

Finally, the class began. I took some extra time and finished the concept that day. Classes continued, and after three lectures, break time arrived. As insisted by everyone, I had to give a treat.

The reason? Because I got married!

So, I declared that I would cover today's canteen bill during the lunch break.

I know it was a bad decision, but now that I've said it, so no other option.

Everyone can eat—teachers, students, everyone. I was amazed to see the crowd in the canteen; it seemed like everyone was there, each person with something in their hands.