Chapter 7: The Great Opportunity

Dining Room, The Shizoku Family's House
December 26, 2012 (7pm)

It's been almost two months since Hiroka, her family and her friends watched the volleyball match between Karasuno and Shiratorizawa. Hiroka was still thinking about the question Washijō gave her when he and Saitō met up with Hideyoshi and his family. So far, she was undecided.

Right now, Hiroka was eating dinner with her family. Chatter spread across Haruto, Hideyoshi and Kanako, but Hiroka stayed silent.

While eating, many thoughts ran through her head. Do I really want to play volleyball? she thought as a memory of Washijō asking her if she wanted to play volleyball ran through her head. I don't know. I'm not a sporty type.

After a few moments of silence, Hiroka was close to reaching a conclusion. Maybe I should pass this one ou—

"Hiroka," Kanako said, snapping Hiroka back to reality.

Hiroka turned to Kanako. She noticed a mix of concern and confusion in Kanako's eyes. Not only that, but Hideyoshi's and Haruto's eyes were on her. Confused, she let out a word of reply. "Hai?"

"Were you listening?" Kanako asked in a concerned tone.

"Eh?" Hiroka tilted her head with her eyebrow raised. "What do you mean by that?"

Kanako sighed in slight annoyance. Hideyoshi turned away in concern. Haruto turned away with a grunt.

Then, Kanako turned back to Hiroka with a smile. "Okay, so here's what's gonna happen," she explained. "Tomorrow, we'll go to Tokyo again. This time, you'll meet two new people, who are Lev's volleyball teammates. You can play volleyball with them when we go there."

As soon as Hiroka heard it, her eyes widened in surprise. Her eyebrow raised. "Eh? Really? But... I'm not that sporty. How can I learn to play volleyball?"

"That's why we're going to teach you," Hideyoshi said with a smile.

"That's right!" Haruto said with an enthusiastic smile. "It'll be a great chance for you to experience something new! And once you get the hang of it, you'll love playing it!"

Hiroka blinked. She was speechless. A pause filled the air. Then, Kanako spoke. "This is your opportunity to play volleyball, so go for it," she said with a smile.

"I agree," Hideyoshi said, nodding. "And besides, you have the answer to give to Washijō-sensei."

A thought of Washijō asking Hiroka if she wanted to play volleyball ran through her head again. A few seconds later, Hiroka mentally reached her conclusion. Maybe they're right. This is a good opportunity to play volleyball. If I pass this opportunity, I won't be able to learn about it. Okay. I'll play volleyball. Not for tournaments and competitions. Just for fun.

A few seconds later, Hiroka nodded with determination. "Alright. I'll play volleyball."

"Yes!" Haruto said, enthusiastically.

Hideyoshi and Kanako smiled at Hiroka's response.

———————————————————

The Shizoku Family's House
December 27, 2012 (9am)

The Shizoku Family dressed up in their usual winter outfit. After that, they carried their prepared bags. The Shizoku Family had prepared their things beforehand for Christmas Vacay.

Right now, the Shizoku Family changed their footwear from their house slippers to their usual winter footwear.

As the Shizoku Family exited the door of their house, Haruto jumped while his limbs formed an opened position. This resulted in his body forming a starfish position. As he did so, Haruto exclaimed in excitement. "Alright!"