Chapter 9: The Test

Backyard, Hitoshi Family's House (3pm)

"Uwah!!!" Haruto exclaimed in shock and excitement.

In the backyard, the Shizoku Family, the Hitoshi Family, the Haiba siblings, the Aikawa siblings, Kuroo and Kenma were now standing in front of an outdoor volleyball court.

This volleyball court was set up by Shun and Sakura sometime after Lev and Shiro joined their respective volleyball teams. Lev and Shiro were next-door neighbors, so it's natural that they played volleyball together outside school volleyball practices.

As Hiroka and Haruto stood before the outdoor volleyball court, Hiroka let out a gasp of excitement. Haruto, on the other hand, was shocked and amazed at the same time. Sparkles appeared in their eyes.

"We're playing volleyball here?!" Haruto asked Kuroo, who stood in front of the siblings. "Sugoi!"

Kuroo's eyes shifted to Haruto as he placed his hands on his hips. "Hai. We are."

"This is where we apply the lessons we learned during our time in the escape room," Shun told Haruto with a smile. "At this time, you, Hiroka, Kenma, Kuroo, Shiro and Lev will play volleyball in the 3-on-3 match. Your dad will be the referee. After we play it, we'll see what you two will have to improve on."

Hiroka and Haruto nodded with a smile. "Hai. I'm looking forward to it," they said in unison.

"Well, if that's the case, let's start," Kuroo said with a friendly smirk.

———————————————————

"Um..." Kenma said with confusion in his eyes.

On one side of the court, there stood Kenma, Haruto and Shiro. On the other side of the court, there stood Hiroka, Kuroo and Lev. Haruto and Lev had enthusiastic smiles on their faces. Hiroka and Shiro raised their eyebrows in confusion and uncertainty. Kuroo smirked like nothing happened.

"...are you sure this is a well-balanced team?" Kenma asked.

"I guess so. My dad prepared it for us," Shiro said. "To be honest, I'm not sure either."

"It seems we have to adapt to our teammates if we want to get better at volleyball. Alright, let's warm up," Kuroo said.

With that, everyone headed to the sides of the court to do some warmups.

During the warmups, questions ran through Hiroka's head. She turned to Kuroo. "Um... Kuroo-san."

"Hm?" Kuroo responded, turning to her.

"What do you know about Kenma-san and Shiro-san in terms of playing volleyball? Are there things we need to watch out for?" Hiroka asked.

Kuroo's eyes widened a bit. Then, a split second later, an answer popped into his head. A friendly smirk appeared on his face. "Ah. I'm glad you asked."

Then, Kuroo proceeded to explain the details about Kenma's and Shiro's plays. "Kenma is the 'brain' of Nekoma. He observes his opponents and plays, and makes strategies on how to counterattack them. He can make surprise attacks like setter dumps and glance feints. So we have to be careful."

"Setter dump?" Hiroka muttered. Then, an image popped into her head. "Ah. Like the one Kageyama-kun did sometimes in matches?" she asked with a smile.

Kuroo nodded. "Something like that."

Hiroka's right index finger and thumb moved to her chin. Then, her eyes shifted upwards as images of what she thought the glance feint might look like ran through her head. "And the glance feint? Hmm... I'm assuming that's where he tricks the opponents into a 'trap' by glancing at another player who seemed to be ready to spike, but was actually not gonna spike?"