2| Little warrior

Maya's heart raced as Arjun's words echoed in her mind

The doctor called.

Without another word, she grabbed her car keys and stormed out of the office. Arjun hurried to follow; worry evident in his eyes as he watched her speed off.

He knew her too well; when it came to her father, she was vulnerable, almost fragile.

He quickly got into his car and followed her, afraid for her safety as she drove recklessly through the busy streets of Mumbai.

Maya's thoughts were a chaotic mess as she navigated the roads.

Her father's face, his gentle smile, and the sound of his laughter filled her mind. It had been 15 years since she last saw him smile. She couldn't lose him. Not after everything they'd been through.

That dark night snatched any everything from her- her mom, her dad, her childhood, everything. She hated the darkness yet still found herself at peace in that same time, maybe she had just grown to love the darkness over time.

Her car screeched into the hospital parking lot; Maya barely registered the curious glances from bystanders, her only thought was to see her father.

She burst through the hospital doors, her fierce demeanor cracking to reveal the raw fear underneath, yet people found it difficult to approach her. Arjun caught up just as she reached the front desk.

"Where's Dr. Mehta?" she demanded from the receptionist, her voice trembling slightly gone unnoticed, except for Arjun. He knew her like the back of his hand.

"Second floor, ICU," the receptionist replied, startled by the intensity in Maya's eyes.

Maya took the stairs, she didn't have the patience to wait for the lift, taking two steps at a time, Arjun close behind her.

As she reached the ICU, Dr. Mehta emerged from a room, looking grave. "Dr. Mehta," Maya called out, her voice cracking.

"Miss. Singhania," Dr. Mehta said gently yet the seriousness couldn't be hidden, "we need to talk, alone" he eyed Arjun

"He is with me" Maya left no room for discussion.

She followed him into a small consultation room, Arjun right by her side. "What's happening?" she asked, her voice barely a whisper. "How is my father?"

Dr. Mehta took a deep breath. "Your father's condition has worsened." We need a specific medicine we need to treat him is made from a rare plant," he paused "but there's a problem."

Maya's heart sank. "You found out which medicine he needs then what's the problem?" she asked, her voice was loud.

"The plant we need to make the medicine is extinct," Dr. Mehta said quietly. "Without it, I'm afraid your father doesn't have much time."