Chapter 14

A/N:

I always wanted to write mystery and crime, but I don't think I did that well. I wanted to know if you guys already expected the ending if I posted the last chapter one day or if you saw where I'm heading with this kind of flow.

Feel free to guess what kind of ending you have in mind in the comments.

With that being said, here's another chapter. I hope you guys enjoy reading it, and please leave a comment and vote. I appreciate it.

-----

It was break time. Everyone left the room to go to their own spot to eat. As for a certain group, they headed to the rooftop and sat on the bench.

What used to be 6 was now half that number. One was being isolated and watched over by the police for safety. Another two were dead by homicide.

The three sat down quietly, unsure what to talk about, and their bento boxes were untouched, seeing that they had no appetite.

It was uncomfortable, this deafening silence. This period of time used to be filled with laughter as they talked about random things while eating delicious food Amao brought.

Before long, someone spoke up, unable to bear this silence.

"Do you think we will be alright?" Asu asked, almost a whisper.

She looked unwell, with her tanned skin taking on a slight pale pallor and emitting a sense of fragility. It looked as though she was about to faint any second now.

Aso displayed a look of assurance, his lips smiling weakly in her direction.

With one arm, he gently brought her to his side into a one-armed hug and said comfortingly, "I'm sure we will. As long as we stick together, then nothing will happen. We won't go down without a fight."

Asu cracked a smile at that. "Yeah," she said.

Amao watched with fondness in his eyes. A trace of bitterness and envy also flashed across them for a brief moment before he shut his eyes tightly.

They were already in the most awful moment a person could experience. The setting was inappropriate for him to feel envy!

But...

Amao couldn't help it when he watched the Rito siblings taking care of each other. Amao would have done the same thing if her sister were here, but she was not...

He felt envious that Aso had his sister, alive and well, meanwhile Amao didn't know what state his sister was in.

Afraid that he would spill his ugly thoughts out loud without restraint, Amao excused himself to go to the bathroom to compose himself.

He pretended not to hear them calling out to him, no doubt they spotted something amiss. He needed to collect himself quickly.

Amao climbed downstairs with quick steps, only to slow down when the other two didn't follow him. On the way to the bathroom, Amao saw two people who were out of place in this school, walking around as if to find someone.

Wearing a dark uniform with a white peaked cap, the color contrasted against the crowd of girls passing by, which happened to be mostly white for clothes and blue for the skirt.

"It's a police officer," his mind quickly supplied.

For a second there, he thought that they were here for them to find and protect them. Without thinking any further, Amao went into their line of sight, forgetting his true purpose of going to the toilet.

The police officers showed signs of recognition upon seeing his face, and they immediately called out to him.

"Are you Amao Odayaka by chance? A friend of Osano Najimi?" one of them asked.