Chapter 15

"Missing...?"

Asu blanked out, mouth gaping open.

She had to listen over and over again, just to make sure what she heard was correct. No matter how much she heard it, it was simply too baffling!

"Megamo-senpai is missing? Him? What?"

Her brother nodded gloomily and added, "Not only that, it turns out that the reason why the police aren't doing anything is also because of this..."

"From what I gathered, he had taken Megamo-senpai hostage and told them not to help us if they want him alive."

Asu gasped, eyes dilated with fear as she processed this knowledge. This confirmed her fears even more.

"Oh God, it's our turn next. Oh my God!"

"Watch your mouth." The siblings tensed up at the sharp voice penetrating the halls.

They thought it was directed at them, but it turned out to be for someone else.

Their attention moved to another police officer who suddenly appeared and reprimanded the two arguing officers. He was a bit older than the two and emitted an aura of superiority and experience.

This person looked a bit familiar, but neither of them could remember where they had seen him before.

The person’s not-so-subtle glance toward them, followed by the other two officers' stunned expressions, did not escape their observation, and Asu immediately knew why that officer had spoken.

The two officers looked apologetic and left after the police officer, who seemed to outrank them, said something inaudible to the Rito siblings.

After that, the man also left. It was clear that he did not intend to explain everything to them as he turned his back on them.

"Is that true?" Aso intentionally called out loudly.

They watched as his back stiffened but then composed himself immediately.

"Is what true?" the officer said after turning around. "Young man, our matters are not your concern. You're still young; go home now. The school awaits you tomorrow."

This reply was filled with dismissal and caused them to feel indignant at this treatment. Although Aso understood what was going on from the snippets the young officers had said, it didn’t mean that he was fine with it!

He was not comfortable being left in the dark, where their ignorance was being taken advantage of.

"I heard everything. What the hell is going on!?" he yelled. He didn't care that he was causing a scene. All he wanted were answers. He wanted certainty that their lives could be protected.

The officer looked left and right, aware that all eyes were on them. He frowned at this display.

"It's for your best... Go home. We will handle this matter."

"For whose sake?" Asu chimed in, outraged that not one of them had ever tried to help. "One of us is already dead, and another has joined him! It might be us next if you guys don’t help us!"

"Your other friend is not dead. He's missing," he corrected, or rather, made a poor attempt at consolation.

Aso fumed and retorted angrily, "His sister is missing, and it's been months! She's probably dead, and Amao is going to be like her! You guys are going to be part of the reason why more lives are lost."

It was cruel, but if this was what it took to get him to help them, then so be it!

A vicious triumph crossed Aso’s eyes when he saw the officer looking uncomfortable.