Chapter 20

Lauren receives a text message the next morning begging her to help Camila study again.

She says yes only because she feels obligated. At least, that's what she tells herself. They meet at the library again, at the same table in the back. Out of all places in the library, this is the most private, and perhaps the most beautiful. Lauren is almost always surprised when the table is open because it's such a great place to study.

This morning, sunlight is streaming in through the window and illuminating the top of the table in golden glow. Today it smells of books, like always, and coffee.

Camila is sitting there waiting for her and she has two to-go cups set on the table. As soon as Lauren arrives she hands one to her with a shy smile.

"I'm sorry for bothering you,” she murmurs, offering the coffee as a consolation prize. "I appreciate your help very much."

Lauren is still so confused because the Camila Cabello she sees now is definitely not the Camila Cabello of last month, or even a few days ago before she called crying like the world was crumbling down, and maybe it was, in a way. For as long as Lauren has known her, she's been loud and arrogant and always the center of attention, always silently demanding people look at her and regard her as something special.

Something has changed, though, in the way she's much quieter now, much softer. Lauren doesn't like to think this change is caused by the pain they've both been facing even more so lately, the pain of separation. The pain of soulmates who are supposed to be together, but aren't.

They're together for now at least, for these short few hours in the morning as Camila reads aloud from Les Fleurs du Mal, stumbling over the words and mispronouncing most of them, only for Lauren to correct her in a softer, gentler voice than she usually uses with Camila. It seems cruel to be harsh, so she isn't, not now at least.

"What is aimons-nous doucement ?"

Lauren blushes correcting Camila's
pronunciation as a way to stall. She fiddles with her coffee and then tells her quietly, "It means, Let us love gently."