the baby / prequel

November 1987, Vancouver

"My throat is killing me, oh my god." The blonde chuckled as she strolled hand in hand with the vampire with brown curls.

"Yes, you did yell as if it were your last show." The vampire made a statement.

"It was Bon Jovi; shut up. I had to do it." The blonde giggled in response.

"Did you enjoy your surprise?" They paused their strolling and exchanged glances when she asked.

"A surprise birthday concert by Bon Jovi! Are you serious? I loved it, of course." The man smiled.

The blonde bent down and gave him a quick peck on the cheek.

"Stefan, happy birthday."

"Thank you, Lexi."

They strolled along, laughing and talking about the music, until all of a sudden Stefan stopped walking and looked around, looking somewhat troubled.

"What's wrong?" Lexi asked.

After receiving no response, she used her vampire senses to focus her attention and detected a strong blood scent coming from somewhere. 

Her best friend, whose vampire look was clearly displayed, caught her attention, and she swiftly cornered him.

"Stefan." She yelled sharply, and he turned to face her as she regained her composure.

"We need to get out of here." She says and yanks him along, when they hear a voice,

"Stefan?"

When they turned back, they saw a woman wearing boots, jeans, and a black leather jacket. She was quite tall, but her frame was trembling and she appeared little at the moment despite her heavy bleeding head. 

"I need your help." The two vampires cautiously withdrew as she said, taking a step forward.

With a trembling breath, the woman looked around while running her hand through her hair.

"Let me tell you something: I'm not here to hurt you. Please give me a chance to explain." She begged.

"Who are you?" Lexi enquired.

"I-" before she could respond, two men jumped her and forced her to the ground.

"No!" The woman screamed, struggling against them, her hand quickly enclosing her abdomen in a protective manner.  

When Lexi realized this, her eyes grew wide. She charged at them with a vamp's speed, ripping the men off her. They turned to face Lexi, but Stefan tore out their hearts before they could react. He stepped forward toward the woman who was on her knees, his vampire face out.

"Stefan Stop! She is carrying a child." Lexi said, Stefan became embarrassed and froze at that point.

He said, "I am sorry," and helped her in getting to her feet.

"How do you know me?" He questioned quietly. 

"I've known you for a long time. I'll let you know later. Please, I really need your help," she said.

Stefan gave a nod.

"How can I help you?" he inquired.

"Damon. Please give him a call." The vampires exchanged a look and grew weary of this stranger.

"Damon? Why do you need him?" Lexi questioned.

"Someone is attempting to kill both my baby and me. Right now, he is the only person in whom I have faith. I need his help." At the very end, her voice sounded almost broken.