Chapter 2

Flashback

Flashback

Grocery bags in his hands, Damon walks into the cozy cabin. He sees the color books scattered around and the paint smeared on the floor.

He pretends not to hear the tiny giggle coming from behind the curtain. He moves around the house.

He holds back his laughter while pretending to search for someone while remaining exactly where he is.

"It's so hard to find her." After a while of purposefully ignoring the curtains and looking in the house, he groans.

He murmurs, "I'm tired and I'm not good at this game," as he shuts his eyes while sitting on the floor with his back to the sofa.

Little hands cup his face, and a small body climbs onto his lap. When he opens his eyes, the most adorable face on the planet greets him.

"You're good, Day Day." The two-year-old remarks. Her lips make a pout and her hazel eyes glance into the blue ones.

"I am?" With his arms wrapped around the infant, he asks, lowering his head to meet hers.

The young girl grinned broadly and nodded excitedly. Her naturally stunning black curls, swaying back and forth.

"I knew you were behind the curtains." His voice is low, and the girl gives him a betrayed expression as she shifts to face him. She looks away from him and folds her hands. 

He lets out a big laugh, then begins to tickle her. He then collapses back onto the floor, the two-year-old on his stomach, and continues to laugh until he stops and she puts her head on his chest. He lifts her up and watches her close her eyes while perched on the couch.

"I'll always find you." He keeps her close to his chest and whispers, kissing her forehead lovingly.

"Promise?" Already wandering into the realm of dreams, the girl whispers.

"I promise, dot." 

***

Selene's Pov
(Present)

I head right to the kitchen as soon as I enter the Gilbert Residence.

Elena and Jeremy are seated on the kitchen island staring at Jenna as she rushes around.

"what's the hurry?" With an annoyed expression on his face, Jeremy looks at me as I question while I sit next to him and ruffle his hair.

"I woke up late and I'm not letting them go without breakfast." Jenna said as she flipped the pancake, which was noticeably flawed.

"Selly, tell her that we're alright. She is not going to hear us." With his face buried in his hands, Jeremy muttered, and I swallowed a laugh.

"Would you mind letting them go, Jenna? What will work better, you know? Prepare them lunch, and I'll take it to them."